Remote alarm and dialer?

Water district in remote location requires that the sewage system on commercial property (resort) have alarm for equipment failure and be able to dial a phone number (the property's manager) so to alert him. If this person cannot be reached (ie, respond with a touchtone keypress, or such), a second number must be dialed.

Commercial concerns are estimating $5000 for this setup. The sensor and such should be straightforward (float level sensor and/or current flow failure sensor). What is involved in getting an automated telephone dialing alert system set up?

Are there such turnkey systems available?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

I can build you one.

Email me if you're interested.
Reply to
John Fields

I'm already have one, working with PLC SIEMENS.

Contact me if you need more information. Rgds, Damir

person

second

such

Reply to
Abacus-Ri

Check with the major paging companies. I know that my oldest son wrote software (for numerous different banks) that pages service people when ATM's run out of money ;-) This can be set up as a wireless link or by telephone.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

person

second

such

Dave,

An outfit name ADEMCO seems to have the corner on home fire/burglar alarm systems. They can't cost $500, or even $500. you can trip the alarm with either a switch closure, or switch opening. They sell these to people like Sentry and ADT. Don't know if there is a capability of dialing an alternate number.

Then there is the "I have fallen down, and can't get up" type of system for about $100. You could get two, one for each number. RS used to sell these.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Youngster. Ptfui. We used chisels and cuiniform.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
danny burstein

Operative idea here is local district *requirement*- not something to be rigged up an amateur like you- stay the hell away from it.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And I bet THAT would sure set the robot off!!!!

...phsiii

Reply to
Remove dots from userid to rep

--
'Cuneiform' was written by pressing a stylus into soft clay and then
baking the clay tablets to harden them.  Good thing too... it'd be
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Ah, you were in a "right to work" cave. Ours was a "union shop", hence all the extra make-work rules. [a]

[a] explanation for the non usofa'ers: most labor/mgt regulation in the US is handled on a local level, that is, by the 50 States. In some the unions have the power to insist that all workers in a business sign up, as a condition of employment, with the union.

In others, so-called "right to work" states, the unions don't have that clout.

(the "right to work" states are called "right-to-starve" ones by the union folk. I'm sure there are similar, if opposite, terms used hte other way around)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
danny burstein

Radio Shack has a home security system that sounds like it would fill your need. It has an automatic telephone dialler. The only thing that you would have to do is to mechanically connect one of the door sensors to a float.

It costs $150 for the complete system.

I've been using it for quite a while and it works great.

I am guessing that it will do what you want. It is up to you to check it out.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

Check out

you can cobble something together for a lot less than $5,000 bucks. X10 makes a security system that when tripped allows a prerecorded message (you record) to be sent. It will call up to 4 number and keep trying until it gets one and the message is acknowledged. The unit goes for under 100 bucks and is wireless and/or can using house wiring for it's units. They have a lot of wireless stuff, but if the equipment is on the same primary power feed as the house, then X10 will talk over the power wires, no RF, and no extra wires to run.

X10 and X10 3 rd party vendors make every kind of sensor you can think of and if one does not exist, X10 has a "dry contact" monitor that you can hook anything to for a NC or NO alarm condition. Sensor units generally run 50 - 100 bucks each depending on what they need to do.

Depending on the distance from your equipment to be monitored and the nearest phone line with be the last step. If it is a few hundred feet then the X10 RF stuff will send the alarm to a master under that might be in your house. If it is a long distance you can run wire or get X10 repeaters, but that would likely not be possible.

Try to have as little exposed to the equipment or weather as possible, or your costs will go way up on weather proof boxes and hardened parts.

That is about as turnkey is at is likely to get, you can check our smarthome also, and there are lots of auto-dialer systems out there in the under 100 buck range that can be triggered various ways. I only suggested X10 because between X10 and 3rd party X10 parts you can probably do this for a few hundred bucks tops in a very easy to install and use manner.

Reply to
Bob Thomas

The X10 home security system can dial 4 numbers to report intrusion. The entry sensors are battery powered and use an RF link to the alarm control unit, which is AC powered with a battery backup. The base system comes with two sensors and is $100 at

- and it's frequently on sale for $65.

You could pay my expenses to fly there from Georgia, install and test this system, provide a full set of spares - and not come close to $5000 ;-)

If you would rather have "commercial looking" equipment, someone else mentioned Ademco. They were in the business for a long time - I installed some wired alarm systems in 1972/3 using a combination of Ademco and custom hardware. Their web address now takes you to Honeywell security -

- which is mostly access control.

You might find this device to be what you're looking for:

It has 4 input channels (monitors 4 different things), dials up to 8 numbers, delivers a voice message which can be stopped by a touchtone code, and can send digits to a pager. It's $210 and the power supply + backup battery is another $70.

If you want to discuss this further, use the link in my signature to send email.

John

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
Email here:

the Wiz

The original message failed. So I am resending it

----- Original Message ----- From: "the Wiz" .....................................................

mentioned

wired

I had mentioned ADEMCO. Should point out that there is a big difference in operation. The ADEMCO systems I have seen contain, and talk to, a modem. He seems to be looking for an audio system like what you are proposing.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

About $US1,550 over a CDMA network. Made in Australia, might need to talk with CDMA provider to see if they can connect such a device:

person

second

such

Reply to