Record for boombox?

I have a small boombox with CD, tape and radio. It has speakers, but no output jack to a headphone or to connect it to my computer input.

I opened it up. If I run parallel leads to the speakers, put a resistor in line and put an audio jack at the end of the leads, will that work as a headphone outlet and input to the computer? Or, is there more to it?

If so, any idea what the resistor should be? Probably high impedance like

100K ?

Thanks for helping an old tinkerer.

-- Walter The Happy Iconoclast

-
Reply to
Walter E.

For headphone, you need a dual switch headphone jack (has two isolated switch contacts, in addition to the headphone contacts. Wire it so thate the NC contact on the switch braks the speaker wire, and either connect the headhone contact to the amp out, or the NO contact, with a

150 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor. The amp out would go to the Comon contact. You would do that twice, once for each channel. Or get a straight headphone jack, ad a separate SPDT or DPT switch to break the speakers.

For the line out, just connect an RCA jack to the outside terminals of the volume control, or the common terminal of the source selector switch.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Because that will tend to "mix" left & right together (to an extent determined by the impedance of the phones and your common current-limiting resistor.)

Reply to
Richard Crowley