Re: What's that black dust in monitors?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:21:03 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

You're an idiot... A retard even.

You should really stop trying to project your insignificance onto others. You fail miserably.

Reply to
DarkMatter

All over this lead I have seen this stuff quite a few times - although not always. Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's when I was not yet working, TV sets on the curb for trash pickup were a source of many parts that I needed, so I have enough experience.

Sometimes is, and for whatever reasons it is still relevant that most Tesla coils don't see the runtime that monitors do. But other relevant items are the fact that a few Tesla coils see lots of operating hours and also the lack of DC component in the electric fields that they produce.

Do those have a fan to bring in dust besides what the electric field would attract? Don't they have the electric field more confined than TV sets have and lower voltages than TV sets have so that the black sooty dust is less attracted until it gets sucked inside along with other dust that dominates due to being sucked in by a fan?

(I have heard of a few older negative ion generators that cause black dust to fly onto walls!)

It is not usual; I am just saying it does sometimes happen. Maybe specific to a restaurant where steak sandwiches are made or where things get fried in deep fat friers with partially hydrogenated soybean oil, maybe cigarette smoke has something to do with it. It does not seem to happen with most, nearly all fluorescent fixtures elsewhere. And it stopped happening when the fixtures in the restaurant in question were retrofitted with high frequency electronic ballasts and T8 lamps as opposed to the older T12 lamps. But when the fixtures in that restaurant had magnetic ballasts and T12 lamps, the fixtures did pick up a little of that black dust that, when wiped with a paper towel, has that "electric-black-dust-inside-a-TV" odor. Another bit of data: The T12->t8 retrofit in that restaurant involved reducing the number of lamps per 2-foot-by-4-foot fixture from 4 lamps to

2 lamps. Tolerance of burnt out lamps was greatly reduced - before the retrofit, usually at any time a couple fixtures had a failed lamp. After the retrofit they kept up something like 100% of the lamps in uptime 98-99% of the time. And I surely envision fluorescent lamps that have experienced "end-of-life" having a DC electric field, since usually only one end has a failed electrode.

Possibly weak-but-not-zero airflow through the fluorescent fixtures was also a factor. In the space above the false ceiling there are air conditioning ducts and the supply and return ducts are almost certainly unequally leaky.

Yes, I do concede that fluorescent fixtures usually dont attract the "electric black dust". But I have found some that did among the many that I have tracked as a lighting nut.

Don Klipstein

If it was ordinary dust that carbonizes from corona, then I should have found the dust accumulated somewhere on neon signs and connections thereto to be of the "electric black dust" form. And I don't see how fluorescent fixtures (in the unusual but known case that they accumulate some "electric black dust") would carbonize ordinary dust. But no, 10-year-old dust everywhere on neon signs seems more ordinary. Looks more likely that the "electric black dust" is something different and is different even as soon as it's precipitated from the air. It seems to be a clue that cobwebs are also rather black in color.

Don Klipstein

25 years ago I got many of my parts from TV sets tossed onto the curb, so I ahve handled lots of that "electric black dust". I have found it to usually be a little greasy if you squeeze it and dig into it, although it is perfectly dry if you touch it lightly.

Don Klipstein

Often feels a bit greasy to me when I do that!

But where I live, half the time I work up a charge when I walk on my carpet. 1/3 of the time I produce a serious charge dragging anything of cloth over anything of a different fiber. And I believe this happens not everywhere but a lot more than most people think, and DC electric fields (although weaker than in a TV set) at least here-and-there in homes are somewhat common much of the time.

Don Klipstein

You just don't see it until it's concentrated enough to see.

What does that have to do with anything?

Certainly parts of the case closer to positive high voltage points would have a positive charge, and in a few cases much of the inside of the case can do that. And in my TV-trashpicking days, I often saw the "electric black dust" on some but not all of the inside surface of the case, and not on the chassis nor on most of the circuit boards. I have seen more ordinary dust on the chassis and the lower voltage components sometimes with the "electric black dust" in higher potential areas and nonconductive interior surfaces that could pick up positive charge from corona on positive high voltage points.

Are your webs spider webs? My cobwebs are formed from dust and darker and greasier/stickier (when rubbed with fingers enough) than other dust.

Don Klipstein

I doubt it.

Sure, I said that.

Not the ones I have used.

Nope.

Dunno.

None of that around here.

The ones I was talking about have no fan.

Cant see how they can do that when there aint no black dust.

I get a completely different fatty/greasy deposit in that situation.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I dont believe there is any at all, except there.

Its obviously possible to get some black soot with some combustion systems.

Not the sheet metal bits close to the FBT and they have the same jet black soot on them.

But not the metal.

Yep.

Yep, but mine are lighter colored than the dust.

Reply to
Rod Speed

OK, I dont have any carpet at all.

I avoid everything except cotton and wool as much as possible.

Yeah, seen that quite a bit in a work situation, particularly with airconditioning in winter where you take the already quite dry air and heat it up, making it even drier.

Sure.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Argghh.... to the eternal block-list I hereby consign you all, "Dark Matter", "Rod Speed" and "Phil Allison"

Reply to
MC

You mean you don't think it's amusing watching three fools spending hours arguing about... dust? :)

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

Or not visible until concentrated by those particular devices that precipitate and concentrate such black dust into noticeable deposits?

Don Klipstein

It's a mote point.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Judd

Dont believe there is any thats invisible when only electrical heating is used.

There may well be with other forms of heating used, particular gas which isnt externally vented.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Maybe no one actually cares what some gutless f****it chooses to read ?

Block lists do actually work if you dont announce what's in them, f****it.

But then you wouldnt be able to posture, would you ?

Reply to
Simon Harris

But I have seen it in homes without combustion devices. Maybe it is possible to get such black dust from neighbors or others upwind, and where I am I certainly think the atmosphere has some soot from diesel-fueled trucks and buses!

In my TV-trashpicking experience, the metal is not as much a target.

points.

That supports my assertions related to cobwebs, since I was talking about ones that are not made by spiders. There is such a thing as cobwebs made of nothing but dust, and apparantly guided into stringy forms by electric fields and/or ionic currents, and these are quite common!

Don Klipstein

I sure see many thousands of diesel trucks, enough of which spew soot into the air. And more-badly-out-of-tune cars do some of the same. Along with enough nearby buildings that have combustion sources, including

40-plus-year-old oil-fueled heating systems within a mile from me often upwind from me. No matter how clean my home is in terms of not adding soot to the air in it, I have to import air from elsewhere or else the CO2 level would become unacceptable and the oxygen level would drop from my respiration. I get black dust accumulating in my TV and my monitor in a 4th floor apartment! Heck, "particulates" ("usually from combustion and industrial processes" as far as I remember) is usually the Number 2 air pollutant reported in my metropolitan area and often at levels worse than "good"!

Don Klipstein

What about me ????

I asked the original question and I still don't know !!!!!

Jackie

Mike Hard>

Reply to
Jackie

You dont get much black soot inside houses from those.

Nope. And bugger all of that ends up inside houses anyway.

We dont see much of that anymore, oil fueled.

Doesnt mean you import much 'invisible soot'

You claimed you get it everywhere, not just in the TV and monitor.

I dont buy that.

Yes, but that aint necessarily the jet black we are discussing.

Most smog seen with citys is actually brown, not jet black.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I doubt it with the jet black non greasy soot being discussed.

I doubt it inside a house.

Bugger all of that ever gets inside houses, certainly bugger all of that inside mine, and I have got that characteristic jet black soot adjacent to the FBT in all monitors and nowhere else.

Its certainly got that jet black soot in all my monitors.

points.

Nope.

No such animal.

Nope.