Re: What's that black dust in monitors?

Not that I want to be caught agreeing with DarkMatter on anything, but I have both seen and heard of enough black dust on TV/monitor faces. Even dust with the odor of that accumulating in the flyback transformer area. My hypothesis is greasy/stick/tarry particles, maybe with a thin coating of soot or other fine carbon particles.

And conductive particles can have a net charge as well as nonconductive ones. My suspicion is that some sort of black dust particle, probably mostly made of some sort of grease or tar, has a tendency to be charged one way or another and be attracted to TVs, monitors, etc.

Don Klipstein

Higher airflow may keep the particles from sticking! I see this dust normally accumulating in high electric field areas that are not subject to airflow from fans or the like.

Don Klipstein

I have plenty of experience saying it is electrostatically influenced!

The dust in question sure accumulates where airflow speed is low! Besides, the attracting force for the dust is for the dust in question and not for air!

Don Klipstein

nearby.

** No need to explain the Robot's false assertion.
** Not even faintly similar situation.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Bullshit - it gets all over the back of the CRT, the ultor lead and the insides of the case.

The Robot is not even familiar with the issue.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I dont get that myself on the flourescent fixture in my kitchen.

All there is on that is some brown fatty crud on the upward facing surface, and I know that thats the fat in the air from cooking steaks. I cook them with the griller as hot as I can get it, and you do get a bit of a grey smoke haze from the burning fat in the air.

Whats on the flourescent fixture is nothing like the black soot you get on the inside surface of the monitor case adjacent to the FTB and on the FBT itself.

Yes, thats one description of what I do get on the upper surface of the flourescent fixture in the kitchen, but thats nothing like what we're discussing in monitors.

Yep, but thats greasy and nothing like jet black.

Dunno, I do get quite a bit of dust on all the front surfaces of all the monitors and TVs, but its just dust colored, not the jet black soot you get inside the monitor.

Mine isnt anything like jet black. But then its not a black soil area, the dirt around here is very brown, almost reddish.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thats not the jet black soot you get on the inside of the case adjacent to the FTB with what you do get on the outside glass tube surface.

Presumably you get that in black soil areas where the dust is very dark.

The dust around here is reddish brown and thats what builds up on the outside front surface of the tube, due to electrostatic attraction. I still get that jet black soot on the inside of the case near the FBT, so that cant just be dust.

The black soot on the inside of the monitor case near the FBT isnt sticky/tarry/greasy at all, its completely dry to the touch.

So is the dust that gets electrostatically attracted to the front surface of the tube, just a completely different color and coarser/more gritty to the feel.

Sure.

Cant be around here where the dust aint black.

Cant be that either, it isnt greasy or tarry.

Doesnt explain why is noticeably concentrated on the inside case surface adjacent to the FTB.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not the convection airflow it isnt.

Yes, but the airflow speed isnt just low adjacent to the FBT.

You dont get it on the opposing inside case surface where the airflow is just as low.

Yes, thats what I was saying right at the top. There is no electrostatic effect on the convection airflow.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doesnt explain why you dont get those particles sticking on the opposite side of the case with the same airflow as the area adjacent to the FBT.

It isnt dust. Its a completely different color to dust here. Its soot.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:31:23 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

It is dust. It just happens to take on a different color than the dust accumulations in PCs. Also, there could have been an epoxy encapsulated device that failed in the unit.

You are irrelevant.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:36:45 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

^^^^^^^ This is the kind of baby bullshit that tags you perfectly for the adolescent twit that you are.

I'm sorry, but your pathetic "Don't buy that," is about as retarded as it gets, considering the well documented effects on smoking in TVs for decades, boy. You are the child.

Yes, you did. I said that it affects lifespan, and you said "Don't buy that." Sorry asswipe, but facts are facts.

Dumbfuk the discussion is about MONITORS!

You are an adolescent twit, AND a snake oil salesman. You have the credibility of a freshly laid turd.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:40:54 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

Proof again that you know nothing about electrostatic fields, or how they act upon "air".

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:40:54 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

This adolescent baby bullshit is what I tagged you as a troll wussy f*ck with in sci.physics.

Yer lame ass is a putz, and a puke, boy. You be troll.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:59:32 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

Dipshit. Electrical heaters radiate huge amounts of IR and air convection currents as well. No dust gets anywhere near them. ELECTRICAL FIELDS are a completely different story, however, you DUMB FUCK!

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:59:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

Of course.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:35:52 +1000, "Phil Allison" Gave us:

Anode leads also get accumulations. Time scales simple differ between materials, and corona levels.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:02:48 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

You're just fukin' cursed, dipshit.

By me at least, and by others, I'm certain.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:14:29 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

I am sorry, you dipshit(s), but ALL dielectric materials are effected by electric fields. Get a clue.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Obvious lie. The words you clearly used were 'no one'

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to find him in the attributions. Hint for the completely unemployable, he's the fifth one currently, right at the top.

Reply to
Rod Speed