Re: The Bidding is Getting Hot and Heavy...

Well, quite obviously they're collectibles! Their performance is so abysmal by today's standards that they are _not_ worth using in an operating circuit except for maybe a crystal radio. So far the bidding has stayed at that point, but I figure about ten minutes to closing, things will start to get hot again.

But you think that's bad? Try this one! They're NOS!! Never been used! In original boxes, which some dealers will tell you makes the item worth a whole lot more! I expect these, which are now at about $8 each, to climb to more than the above transistors before the auction is over. We'll know by this time tomorrow, since there's less than a day left. BTW, Tim will *really* like these, because they each come in a Sylvania TOOB box!

And then there's this guy. He seems to be an opportunist. I've been watching this paricular bag of transistors for almost a month now. He hasn't sold it yet. He doesn't get the picture that if you try to sell something like this without any documentation on what it is, or what it's used for, and if you just set a high minimum bid, and then charge a lot for shipping, almost no one will bid on it. But with almost 2500 auctions under his belt, you would think that he has enough experience by now to know better. So I figure he is the kind that really doesn't care about sales, he's just waiting for a sucker to come along and fall for his bait. And there are enough suckers out there to make it worthwhile. I got a bag of almost 200 transistors thru the mail the other day and the postage was a whopping 60 cents, and this guy's charging $4.85, making him a nice tidy profit of $4.25. And with a $6 minimum, that's over ten bucks for a bag of 100 transistors, well above what you can buy them for at Mouser or Digi- key. But if the fool would just include some data or a URL to a data sheet, he would probably find a sucker ^H^H^H^H^H^H buyer. Duh.

=4666

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Here is another good one- I will probably put this on Ebay myself. I have an original Intel 4004 processor chip. That's right, the very first CPU ever made! It's in a gold case and is in a small DIP, and it still works. I also have some of the original support EPROMS and RAMs. You never know!

Cheers!

Chip Shults

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III

should

There was a guy on ebay selling 1A diodes (almost positive they were

1n4001's) for $1 each with expensive shipping, stating they were for solar cells. He even stated that you could parallel them up for larger panels. Ripoff, and paralleling diodes in not a good idea due to the negative temperature coefficent.

Then their's the 2 sellers that hype up P I and PII laptops so much that they generally get more for them then a high end P III laptop with much better screens, more ram, and much larger HD's etc. Most noteable when you see headings and statements like HUMMER H2 of laptops, huge bottomless 2.1 GB hard drive, or the laptop is equivalant to a P I 500 MHz. Every word relating to a specification is als usually higlighted. A P II 266MHz went for $5xx US a few weeks ago. Sad.

Reply to
Jeff

put this on Ebay myself. I

That's right, the very first

small DIP, and it still

EPROMS and RAMs. You never

I have one of these too! Never figured it was worth anything.... Just a spare from a (very old) project!

Reply to
Roger Gt

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:06:43 GMT, "Jeff" Gave us:

At least not unless one joins them thermally with a good epoxy, such that they rise up in temp at equal, or near equal rates.

I was surprised to see my "Enermax" (I thought they were good) 350W ATX PC supply had a pair of diodes paralleled in it at a gap of a half inch of air. A sure bet that one would hog the current, and if the design was marginal, it would fail, then the other.

That was an UNREAL design flaw to me. How it made it to the production floor, I'll never know. Some lame tech prolly "fixed" the first article, and sent the "change" to the production floor, bypassing any real engineering steps.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Yes you have the 4004 BUT do you have the original DATA books that came with it !! :)

Reply to
j.b. miller

Hey! There's some hope for my shoebox full of 741s too, then!

--

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.
Reply to

Plus an unbroken chain of ownership papers. Provenance is all-important. :-)

--

My opinion is worth what you've paid for it.
Reply to
Paul Burridge

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:09:28 +0000, Paul Burridge Gave us:

Shoe box? I have two, two foot on each side, cube sized boxes full of nearly every chip in the series.

I have panel mount mil LEDs with hermetic cases and glass lenses that were $35.00 each ten years ago. I wonder what a few of those would go for. I have shitloads of RCR nd RWR resistors and such. Some, we cannot even find vendors OR makers for any more.

Reply to
DarkMatter

miller"

original DATA books that came with

Provenance is

I have a Manual, and certs shipped with it. My assembler and the program I wrote for it. All in my lousy file system!

But it is not like this chip was a key element in "Rover" is it?

PS: NOT for sale!

Reply to
Roger Gt

LOL!, I've got an 8088, 80286, 80387 and some others. :)

Reply to
Andre

In article , snipped-for-privacy@here.net mentioned...

Naw, they said the Rover CPU is a 20 MHz PowerPC(!)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

My very first computer was a Scelbi 8-H. It had an 8008, and, I think 256 bytes of RAM or so. I mail ordered some

1Kbyte chips, and soldered them in, idiot that I was. I didn't buy it; I traded some guy my Heathkit IO-10 or whatever it was - about a $600.00 value. Interestingly, the comp. I'm at now was about $600.00 about a year ago.

And nary a toggle switch to be found! (the Scelbi had toggle switches, buttons, and LEDs for an interface. ;-) )

Cheers! Rich

[1] The Scelbi had a bank of 8 toggle switches, and 2 rows of LEDs for address (14 bits) and data (8 bits), and certain processor control states; I forget which. And three pushbuttons - "interrupt," "step," and "run." Using those, the user (me) would cycle through essentially microinstruction cycles. Its form of "vectored interrupt" was that whatever was lying on the data bus to be read at the time that the chip is responding to the interrupt, it executes, typically a "jmp" instruction, or a "mov H, N":

set switches to 357 octal - "move H, N" Press "interrupt" button. Observe

Reply to
Rich Grise

I had an 8086 once, and I used to take it out just to admire it and fantasize about the circuit I was going to build for it. Then I got the job in the video game shop, and microprocessors already on boards with video drivers and interfaces and ROM sockets and everything started falling out of the sky. :-)

Cheers! Rich

first

never

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 03:43:06 GMT, "Rich Grise" Gave us:

As a kid, my first job was repairing old contacts type pinballs. My first electronics job after high school was as a tech for a video game distributor, repairing uprights, and pinballs.

I got to ply the newest and best machines free every day for lunch. Many before they ever hit game room. We were (and are) the biggest distributor east of the Miss. Your boss likely bought many machines from us. We moved 300 Pc Man a week. We filled 6 tractor trailers day at the dock. That didn't count the pool tables. I also did delivery, collection, set-up, field service, etc.

A t one time, I had every service door key one could possess. I made many a friend out of a bartender when a cigarette or vending machine went down with me nearby. Lot's of free beers!

Oh yeah... we did ALL the juke box makers' goods as well.

That is where I acquired my first laser disc player. It had hardware access to the player, and queued the scenes from that port.

Dragon's Lair, and Mach 3 IIRC... It also had a 6 inch HeNe laser in it, and a full optical bench type platform. I kept the laser for years after the player got replaced.

Reply to
DarkMatter