Re: Stepper motor wiring

> I have an AIRPAX 4SH-12A46S stepper motor > label markings are as follows > > AIRPAX > North American Phillips Controls Corp. > Cheshire, Conn > > VOLTS - 12 > OHMS/COIL 28 > DEG/STEP 1.8 > 4SH-12A46S > > I have six leads > red > blue > yellow > white > brown > black > > How do I determine what my connections should be? > I've spend nearly the last four hours trying to find info on this motor. > > TIA > Neil Jackson

------------------- Listen kid!: You don't need a diagram!!

There are two coils, and each one has a wire on on each end, and a center-tap wire in the middle of each coil.

All you do is use an ohmmmeter on the leads to find which three are on which coil, and the one wire for each that is half the ohms to the other two end wires is the centertap, of course.

Then you take the two centertaps of both coils and tie them together, and connect them to your positive supply, +12V, and then you can ground (connect to the supply ground or minus) only one of the two at a time for each coil. When you ground only one of these end wires of each in what is called "quadrature order", it will rotate, and if you don't like the direction just swap the end wires of JUST ON of the two coils.

Quadrature order is THIS for the grounding the end wires labeled like this: A - centertap - B , and C - centertap - D , and it goes:

Grounding order for quadrature. A and C, A and D, B and D, B and C, repeat over and over.

Or the reverse to reverse directions.

Here's an animation of it.

(all one line)

Or:

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!