Re: JVC Video Noise

I think Sophie is right. I've seen this problem quite a few times. I worked in Post Production for several years as a graphic artist. One of my jobs included cleaning several Sony Betacam SP machines. If a good cleaning (Drum pinch rollers, capstand, guides ETC) didn't fix the problem a service person was called in. Quite often a service person had to disassemble the drum, clean or replace a head and the problem you described went away. Betcam SP machines are a different animal, but the problem is the similar as it was normal for one of these machines to produce a fussy line at either the top or bottom of the screen. Also keep in mind that the machines I described were used, as a new Betacam SP (recorder, editor) was around $10,000 You might want to try Acetone for cleaning metal, it works better than isopropyl alcohol, just don't touch plastic or rubber as it will melt them, for materials other then metal use isopropyl alcohol 100%, not this half and half stuff you can get at the drug store. Hope this helps Mike

Rene: > Are you absolutely certain that the A/C head is CLEAN. This is the head > assembly right before the pinch roller and capstan. The bottom head on

the

assembly is responsible for picking up the control track signal from the > tape and if it has gunk or build-up on it that may be causing your

tracking

difficulties..... clean it real good with isopropyl alcohol and a Q

tip.....

a visual inspection after cleaning will help you confirm that it is clean. > If in doubt, clean it again.... and again. Unlike the delicate rotating > video heads on the upper drum, you can use moderate pressure with a Q tip > without damaging the stationary heads on the A/C head assembly. > -- > Best Regards, > Daniel Sofie > Electronics Supply & Repair > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > Additional information: > > > > I watched the tape as it loads and as it travels its serpentine path. > > Everything looks steady, no sign of tape edge crumpling, vibrating, nor > > getting out of the lower cylinder ridge. > > > > Also when I used a Fujifilm brand of S-VHS tape, I somewhat can record

and

> playback but the quality is nowhere close to my 6 year old 2 head VCR.

The

> top or bottom of the screen (depending on tracking manipulation)

displays

a > > multicolor band. > > > > > > "Sofie" skrev i meddelandet > > > news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com... > > > > Rune Isaksen: > > > > cc: Rene > > > > Certainly could be the pressure (pinch) roller.... but not

necessarily

> > > "nothing else." > > > > > > > In This case, nothing else. > > > /Rune > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Mike Wilson