Re: Choosing the right Ultrasonic sensor

How far is the plate from the sensor? Another option would be to use a Sharp IR sensor, which you can get for about $10 US. They are quite accurate to about 3m, and can output distance either as a voltage or as a bit stream.

As far as ultrasonic sensors go, take a look at

for parts. They all seem out of your price range, though.

I managed to obtain some ultrasonic transducers from

They were cheap, but you'll have to build up a circuit around them to do the distance measurement. There are various circuits for this published on the web.

Regards

I would like to measure the movement of a 4x4 inch steel plate as it moves > towards and away from an ultrasonic sensor. > > The basic idea is to have the ultrasonic sensor pointing directly to the > flat 4x4 inch steel plate. The plate would be moving around 2 feet towards > and away from the sensor. > > I don't care about the accuracy of the device; all I care is about the > repeatability of the reading. > > I would appreciate if someone could give me a link to such device, I would > be needing around 60 of them so a cheap sensor would be best (under $25 US > dollars if possible) > > I appreciate your help. > >
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Robert:

Thanks for your response, I would like to ask for a little more help if you dont mind, would you happen to know some of the links for the various circuits published on the web. I tried looking for them but I was not able to find any.

Thanks.

Sharp

the

moves

towards

would

US

Reply to
Cliff

The search is 'ultrasonic ranger circuit':

By the way, I was wrong in the original post, the cheap ultrasonic transducer was from

Regards Bob Monsen

you

stream.

for