Re: Can Google Groups do cross-posting?

>>The big problem is in Google not requiring newbies

>>to click thru a checklist of DOs and DON'Ts >>before granting them initial access. > > Not only that, they have a list of the "Most Popular Groups" on the > groups.google.com homepage. (Apparently driven by the amount of > traffic or, perhaps, Google web hits). And sci.electronics.design > has been on it recently. At number 4, the last time I looked. So > the random net browser can jump right in... >

That's always been a problem with cross-posting.

A newsgroup can live in relative obscurity, but then the moment someone decides to cross-post, it's a pointer to the other newsgroup(s) of the existence of that newsgroup and after that it's fair game. Then the cross-posting continues, as others pick out the "obscure" newsgroup from the existing cross-posting.

People too lazy to look for proper places to post suddenly find more newsgroups because they've been cross-posted to and the see the newsgroup header in some other newsgroup.

In the case of .design it's got to be the current rash of cross-posting that's "moved it up". In our local newsgroup, I'm one of the longest lasting posters, and for a long time my largest percentage of posts were to that newsgroup. Yet that google "profile" for the newsgroup doesn't even list me as a "top ten poster" because in recent years there have been routine cross-posting with other regional newsgroups, and that amounts to far more than the actual local content.

Now, the "regulars" to .design are hardly free of blame for this situation, they continue to replay to the off-topic posts and they basically have had little regard for sticking to the topic in the first place. But I suspect the high traffic is due to the cross-posting.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Right now, it's way beyond a bit of cross posting.

Targeting by a conspiracy is more like it. I think s.e.d set a record for traffic today, between the flooding with some sort of chipset datasheet, deliberate trolls from new or anonymous posters about the VT massacre and the ever popular flame wars about gun control, and the tail end of the direct disruption from alt.usenet.kooks.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier