Re: Best heat sink compound?

I would find it easier to believe that it was overhyped crap if I wasn't typing this on a quad processor Compaq Proliant that has the CPUs runnin 10 degrees C cooler since I replaced the OEM heat sink compound.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you

> DaveC says... > > >White "tooth" paste kind, or clear greasy "hair stuff" kind? > > Neither. > >

> > -- > Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. > Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you > have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like > Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at

Make sure you use all the other over hyped crap so it doesn't get lonely.

--
24 days!

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

First, if you saw that much difference, then it is *obvious* that the initial installation with OEM heat sink compound was flawed.

10C is *way* too much!

However, there *are* differences between the different heat sink compounds. The question is, what is it worth to have 2 degrees lower temperatures? If you have a one shot deal, and the price is $10, why not??? That fact that for $6 you can do well enough just isn't significant.

On the other hand, if you might do a dozen or more, it starts adding up. Likewise if it ever comes to a question of delaying a project until the "good stuff" can be obtained, that might not settle too well either.

The most hilarious part of the whole thing though, is that the difference between any of those silver based compounds that you pay an arm and a leg for, is too small to be significant in most cases compared to what you can find in virtually *any* automotive shop.

NAPA Item# 765-2569 Copper Anti-Seize Lubriant

A 4 ounce bottle will last forwever unless you are in the business of turning out multiple systems per day.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

Point well taken. The OEM heat sink compound was applied at a Compaq factory in 1996, and I replaced it in 2003, so age is almost certainly a factor.

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Guy Macon

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 7:37:23 -0800, Floyd Davidson wrote (in message ):

and you recommend this as a head-sink compound for semiconductors?

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveC

Considering the question, and the large cross-posting, I kind of expected a computer newsgroup to be included. And the threads over there about heatskink compound can be somewhat amusing. They range from "Do I really need heatsink compound" to debate over the brand name of the compound.

It strikes me that it's right up there with the audio consumers and gold plated cables and ten dollar capacitors.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Depends. Low voltage and mechanically attached, yes.

I use for cpu's, such as the AMD Athlon series that runs so hot.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
Reply to
Floyd Davidson

I can see the logic, but you're talking about some damn fine manufacturing tolerances there. Anybody actually sell heatsinks like that?

"in short term test" being the operative term. Once it's dry it's useless. I'm sure spit would give adequate results short-term but that's hardly relevant to the real-world.

I just went to the AS website, they certainly don't make a secret of the figures you want, they're right there after the usual marketing blurb:

Thermal Conductance: >350,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Resistance:

Reply to
Tim Auton

I wonder if they buy the stuff from Mr. Eustace Haney?

The con man on Green acres. ;-)

--
24 days!

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I believe they buy it from Inspector Gadget.

Reply to
Guy Macon

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:37:23 -0900, Floyd Davidson Gave us:

Exactly. 2 or 3 degrees is the most one will see, at best.

Hardly worth the price or the benefit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 8:12:04 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

You have obviously not been around very long.

The discussion is centering around a silver based media, so if conductivity is what has your bloomers in a bunch, it is not an issue.

The material he mentions isn't a lube, it's a spray used to seal high pressure metal gaskets, like a head gasket.

It works absolutely flawlessly.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 1 Dec 2003 16:34:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) Gave us:

No. There are actually measurable differences in this case.

The thing is whether those minuscule differences are worth the extra cost.

To me... they are not. I know that my *normal* heat sink compound is just fine for the job.

Hey... look at toilet paper. To me, the industrial/institutional variety is the best value, as it has the most paper on the roll. and is quite adequate in the "softness" realm. Consumer TP is designed to be used up quickly on a loosely filled roll, that has little on it, marked with "Extra Fluffy" or some such stupidity. Consumers are not the best analysts of quality, unless challenged. THEN they wake the f*ck up... maybe.

All it is is another way for them to sell us LESS for MORE.

The heat sink cream is better... about one or two percent better. Hardly worth the cost.

If I OC my PC, it will have an active cooling method employed on it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:22:19 +0000, Tim Auton Gave us:

Almost all laterally extruded heat sinks have the tilt on the device mating surface.

Vertical extrusion types do not, and stamped types do not.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Actually this stuff is a lube. It comes in a little container with a brush on the inside of the cap. It is kind of an oily looking stuff, with a lot of what appears to be copper flakes suspended in it. (And it is essential to mix it up very good before applying it, or all the copper will be on the bottom of the container.)

It is *not* used on head gaskets, but rather on head bolts. The idea is to smear them with this stuff in hopes that 10 years later you might be able to unscrew them all without breaking half of them.

It does indeed.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
Reply to
Floyd Davidson

.. it's also used on large battery banks to anti-seize the bus-bar-to-battery terminal bolts and to protect the connections from corrosion.

Most certainly - though it's not cheap.

JM2CW, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:20:13 -0900, Floyd Davidson Gave us:

Ahhh... I had a spray can of copper filled tack media for the head gasket seal application. I remember the stuff you refer to now.

An anti-sieze compound.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Actually, on my processor, the white thermal grease melts and runs out all over the place, but the arctic silver remains in place... plus, my cpu runs about 10 degrees C cooler with arctic silver... This is no hyped crap... this is from my actual use and experience.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Ok... Let me put it into numbers... when overclocking my computer, I get approx. 400 mhz more out of it when using arctic silver over the white goop...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

yep, and absolutly essential on exhaust manifold bolts...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton