Re: Any value to a Monster Cable 3000 Mhz splitter over standard 900 Mhz splitter?

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in news:121j6pml0f43f06

> @news.supernews.com: > >> I see. Kind of like paying more than necessary for gasoline by buying >> higher-octane Premium for one's low-compression 'runabout', and naively >> expecting to get better performance as a result... >> >> Ken >> > > More like buying the same gaslione at a higer price because they say so.

I used the "higher octane Premium gas = useless waste of $$$ for use in average (non-high compression) engines" analogy because I assumed it was an aptly fitting metaphor. But here you seem to be suggesting otherwise. Are you hereby inferring then that Monster Cable is trying to market a more expensive product which (unlike the the more expensive higher-octane gas, in my analogy) there literally exists NO practical justification for whatsoever (e.g. not even for use with satellite...)??

Pardon me for dragging this out, but I go into the local store where I've been fed the above 'Monster Cable promo' spiel a couple of times, and briefly chat with the sales reps and other personnel there on a regular basis. The subject will inevitably come up between myself and one of these fellas again. So I just want to be sure of all my facts before the opportunity again arises to call them 'on the carpet', as it were, to account for their claim.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

After getting a heavy-handed pitch to buy some M*nster interconnects to go with a new Velodyne woofer, I asked the young clerk if he was aware that there had never been a valid double-blind test in which anyone could hear a difference, and it stopped him cold.

It was true at the time; anyone know whether it still is?

--
Noah
Reply to

Do a Google on "monster cable comparison test" or such language.

Tom

Noah Little wrote:

Reply to
tom_b42

Don't keep us in suspenders!

--
St. John
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

Hi Ken,

maybe I can save you some work here ;-) The television signals from terrestrial and cable TV run from low frequencies up to about 900MHz. Satelite signals come in at around 2GHz (12000MHz) and are downconverted in the "low-noise block converter" or LNB (the box with the horn in front of the actual satelite dish) to a frequency range between 1 and 2GHz and are then sent through the coaxial cable to the satelite receiver that typically sits near the TV. There, the signal gets converted to something that a normal television can make sense of. So, if you want to split the signal coming from the LNB (i.e. from the dish) to e.g. multiple satelite receivers (e.g. one in the living room and one in the bedroom) then a splitter for frequencies up to 2GHz is actually required.

Hope this helps somewhat...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Baltus

Thanks for you reply. I hadn't specifically checked the sci.electronics.misc group for non-crossposted replies, so I was unaware that you had posted the information that I was asking for; that is until reading it just now. Thanks again.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moiarty