Radio reception on trains and coaches.

It is now effectively impossible, because of all those mobile phones, every few minutes, informing Big Brother where all his targets are. By the time you have a dozen or more such devices in one space it becomes intolerably intrusive by RF/IF? breakthrough, separate from audio banal conversations intruding. Is there a way of screening/aerial/filtering/ choice of waveband to at least reduce these intrusions for ordinary personal public broadcast radio reception

N Cook

In message , N Cook writes

Yes. Buy a radio which is designed with sufficient EMC to withstand such RF breakthrough. It is, as you already imply, a matter of screening and filtering. Whether such radios exist is a different matter. Obviously, they are 'designed down to a price' where they work well enough for most of the time. But I expect that you already know this.

--
Ian
Reply to

every

least

I was thinking more along the lines of adapting an existing one as I doubt there are any made with this use in mind. Wrapping in kitchen foil , adding a small coax lead to the original aerial pont and some sort of aerial placed near the window?

Reply to
N Cook

And then other passengers may think that its Some kind of explosive !!!!!!!

Reply to
Pete

In message , Pete writes

ASSUMING you aren't hauled off to the local nick, I expect that kitchen foil would be fairly effective at phone frequencies. Any leads passing into the radio would need to be well-connected to the foil (or decoupled to it) where they pass through it (effective again at phone frequencies). A lowpass filter in the aerial coax (say 120MHz for FM only or 230MHz if you want DAB) should finish the job. Instead of foil, it might be easier and more robust to use a biscuit tin.

--
Ian
Reply to

actually i find those anti static component bags [the larger jiffy ones too!] very good. many times we [as a group] have setup talk-thru units in wagons where there have been upto 6 other such units running, imunnity to breakthrough and bleedover/desense was greatly improved all round.

often used to run like this at a certain military airshow with a ft23r and the 70cm version. could operate inside and just outside of the old control bus with no problems.

TBH i would not expect even a dozen mobiles squalking to impead a scanner at all . to high up in the bands assuming vhf/uhf reception.

mike g7bnf

Reply to
mikeFNB

there

at

frequencies).

I assume you are referring to the antistatic opaque black bags rather than the translucent pink ones.

Reply to
N Cook

Which portable radio are you using? When on a train journey, I use a "cheapie" FM radio kindly sent to my by "tox"- it is one of those you see for a few £ with headphones and a built in "torch". Never had any break through from 'phones- beyond the audio QRM of "I'm on the train, I'll call you in 5 mins." etc.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

I would assume he means ones that are made of mylar type material like this one

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy