Radio Electronics Magazine?

Hi all,

Does Radio Electronics Magazine still get published? I remember seeing them years ago, but can't find anything like it here in Toronto (went to all the electronics shops, book stores (Chapters, Indigo etc...) Can't seem to find it.

Any other magazines that are published in North America that have interesting projects?

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

years ago,

shops, book

projects?

I think Circuit Cellar is still being published for one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

years ago,

shops, book

projects?

Radio Electronics "died" about ten years ago. Actually, they renamed it to "Electronics Now" at that time, but it was pretty much the same magazine.

But then a few years back, I think the start of 2000, it was merged with Gernsback's other publication, "Popular Electronics" (not to be confused with the "Popular Electronics" that had morphed to "Computers and Electronics" and died in 1984), becoming "Poptronics". But that time, it mainly becamse "Popular Electronics" rather than "Electronics Now". Don Lancaster's long running column was dropped. It aimed at the same market as "Popular Electronics" which I'm not sure I cna describe but which was definitely different from "Electronics Now".

But then at the end of 2002, Gernsback announced that it was going out of business, and obviously "Poptronics" would no longer be published.

So no, "Radio Electronics" is no longer around, under that name or as a descendant.

"Nuts & Volts" magazine

is the only hobby electronic magazine being published in the US now that I can think of. It started out, I gather, pretty much as an advertising forum, but has increasingly become about content. Certainly once Poptronics was out of the way, they changed their size to the usual magazine size, and is full of articles. I've found it at Chapters here in Montreal, though not recently at Indigo.

"Circuit Cellar" might be a contender, but it is mostly computer oriented articles, with the exception being backround material related to the core material. It's from Steve Ciarcia, who had a long running hardware column in Byte. But I'd label it as less of a hobby magazine than Electronics Now, with the intent being elsewhere (though maybe that's just the computer bias). This shows up at Chapters and Indigo.

There's a magazine from the UK that shows up in Chapters. I can never remember the exact name, something like "Practical Electronics" (I can't remember because it's a long time magazine, that merged with something else and changed the name accordingly.) It suddenly reappeared after Poptronics died, so I suspect they made an effort to get better distribution.

There's also "Electronic World" from the UK, the descendant of the old "Wireless World". It's market seems a bit higher than hobbyist, with most of the articles on advanced topics and few construction articles. It too is available at Chapters and Indigo.

The only ham magazine being distributed at newsstands nowadays is CQ Magazine. Not really much in construction articles and even then they'd be radio related. "73" died back in the fall, and "QST" decided to do away with newsstand distrubition a while back.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Don;t forget Elektor, published in several languages, and IMHO, far more interesting that Everyday Practical Electronics (EPE). Far higher level than Nuts & Volts & EPE - more like Circuit Cellar, but heavily focussed on contruction - lots of novel design ideas and they have professional labs that check all designs & do the PCBs...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

I did forget when I posted, but a reason for forgetting is that I haven't seen an English language copy here in Montreal (and I assume the rest of Canada) in years. Though, I have seen the edition from France locally, but it seems sporadic.

When we were seeing Elektor imported from England twenty years or so ago, I did buy it regularly, and you're description fit even back then.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

EPE has a sister mag at: