Question on uni-directional microphones

Just bought a more-or-less uni-directional mic (intended for VOIP) for my latest project, and saw that it comes with what looks like a stereo 3.5mm plug. I am *guessing* that these separate bass and treble components of the signal, but have no idea which part of the plug is for what. Again, I

*guess* that the first "shield" is ground, the second (middle) portion is for treble (which would probably not require so much amplification) and the tip is bass (which would require the most amplification and shielding.) But I also guess that I am wrong on most if not all of this. Anyone out there know anything about any of what I describe? Would love for someone to tell me I am wrong, and set me straight. I am intending to use this mic for an intercom I am building for my front door, and don't intend to make actual use of the separation of bass and treble (if that is what it does.) Expect to hook the tip and middle section to the amplifier input, and the "shield" to ground. But I could also be full of crap and have this blow up in my face, destroying the precious mic. Any ideas or feedback is sought and eagerly awaited. Blast away.

Thanks,

Dave (who is all ears at this point.)

Reply to
Dave

I would expect the sleeve to be ground, and the tip and ring to be signal. The tip and ring would carry the same signal, since most sound card inputs probably expect stereo signals (left and right) on the tip and ring.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

Unlikely IMO. Much more probable that it's a (T)ip, (R)ing, (S)leeve connection for a computer sound card / connection. If so, then the mic. will be a "standard" electret and the connector pinouts will be Earth, +5 Volts, Signal.

Black Iccy

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed, since the mic is intended for use with a laptop and VOIP etc. Now I have some idea as to how to adapt it for my front-door intercom project. Man. Don't know what to say other than,

Much appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Definitely. Especially when soundcards have both line input and microphone input. There's no overlap since the microphone needs extra amplification over the line inputs, so they can split the signal into two channels after the preamp.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black