Question about dealing with electronics sales reps.

Hi:

I'd like to know at what point, if any, I should have blew my top with these sales reps.

Situation:

I started dealing (on the phone) with a VP of outside sales I was refered to by the manufacturer of the IC's for which I needed samples. He is only in the office the first 2 or 3 days of the week. Without explanation, many of my e-mails ended up being handled by an inside sales rep who finally filled me in on the company heirarchy, kinda tongue in cheek.

By December, I had the samples of these RF chips. They've been verified with (some mfg's.) XTALs and muRata ceramic resonators. I've never had a problem getting fast action from muRata.

muRata discontinued ("de-emphasized) the resonator I needed because they want to push their 3 terminal resonators (built in caps) and I knew they wouldn't work. The RFIC app engr concurred.

That started another back and forth between me, the VP, and the app engr., who didn't know about the stunt muRata pulled. Finally the VP relayed something from the app engineer about a part from a company they don't represent. I wasn't told about the commo with the app engr, or the fact that they don't rep that mfg. Then the VP disappeared again leaving me and the inside rep to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

Finally, 3 weeks or so after finding out muRata was out of the picture, the week before Christmas, the inside rep sent me to a website of a resonator mfg that they *do* rep. Moving quickly to beat the holiday, I checked the specs and options for the parts and came up with part numbers. I e-mailed the rep back on 18 DEC with the part numbers and specifically stated that I had X samples of each chip and no rocks or resonators and yes, the following part numbers meet the specs and thanks a lot.

You'd think, after sending me samples and eval boards, and talking about sourcing resonators, they'd realize without being told that I need them to get me the stinkin' resonators, otherwise I'd have already ordered them from Digi-Key or someone.

No answer. I didn't hassle the rep during the week of Christmas nor the time between then and New Year's day. Then I inquired again this week.

Three days later, I got an e-mail from the rep asking whether I needed the parts or just prices, so I snipped and resent all the relevant previous discussion to refresh the rep's memory. They've only been told twice that my customer wanted to do an initial run requiring some 1500 IC's this month. I also didn't mention the fact that they've been jerking around for a month or so.

Now as much time as I spent dealing with this rep, which will result in a single source for parts (that can be changed later of course) I didn't get the impression at any point that I would need to look elsewhere, so I can't just say "screw you" and go elsewhere without incurring further delay.

Question:

At what point do you say, "Look. You're jerking me around. *I* am the customer, not you. If you can't keep track of what you're working on, understand the products and related components, and listen to what your customer needs, I need to talk to someone [or other company] who can."

... or however you would have handled it. I'm sure some of you have some knowlege of the best way to deal with this kind of thing. I've been lucky up until now. This has been like dealing with bureaucrats except that with them, I'd have gone through the roof on them by now.

BTW, these people lost the order for the eval boards over Thanksgiving which amounted to another 2 week delay.

Thanks for your input, Mike

Reply to
Active8

Snip..

  1. Always have a second and possibly third source if the part is mundane.
  2. Always ask for the full name, phone extension and email address. That enforces accountability.
  3. Casually mention competitors names.
--
    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Did you tell muRata that their product couldn't be used? I'm surprised muRata wern't chasing the RF manufacturer for you to find out why and to agree on an alternative. Perhaps nobody is using that RF IC in very large volume?

It sounds to me like you might be relying on the distributor a bit too much. Some distrubutors know and support their product range very well but others cover too wide a range for them to stand any chance. Other just don't have the right quality of staff.

In my 20+ years in the electronics industry I've met two types of people...

There are those that are made of the "right stuff", who get a real kick out of working as a team to achieve objectives and deliver projects on time. They think ahead and consider what impact their part of the project will have on others. They frequently work unpaid overtime because they enjoy the challange. They are never heard to say "it's not my job to think about xyz..."

.... and then there are those for who everything in life seems just too much work. It never occurs to them that their actions will have an effect on others. They never bother themselves with the wider picture and wouldn't think twice about sending out urgent samples by regular post just before Christmas.

All you can do is hope the boss knows which type you are when it comes to the annual pay review, oh and make sure you hire the right type when you you get his job.

Unfortunately 1500 resonators isn't going to get your average supplier very excited unless you can hint at much larger volumes to come? They cost so little there is no profit in it for them.

Reply to
CWatters

It's been my personal experience (and training) that causes me to say that if you've put yourself in in a position requiring such a decision, you've done something wrong already.

I hate to say this, but honestly you're coming across as still another one of those hot shots who low balls his bid, understates his delivery committment, then expects all of his suppliers to cut corners and expecite his stuff just in order to save his ass.

Sorry guy, but business doesn't work that way, even if you were Donald Trump. Well...maybe a name like Donald Trump would buy you a bit of slack, but otherwise...

If you wish to stay in the business for any significant amount of time, broaden your design margins so your production product will meet its specs using components available from at least 6 different sources. Also, find out which of these suppliers maintains an in depth stock locally. This variety of supply sources allow you bargain on price, plus reduce your standing inventory to the minimal amount (normally a 2-week supply).

Unfortunately, if you based your product on the use of a particular component offered by only one supplier and didn't stockpile these components, then don't blame your supplier, since you screwed yourself!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

[...]

I wouldn't assume that at all. If you need parts, you need to make sure that they know how many and when you need them. That's your responsibility, not theirs. Assuming they know what you need is a sure path to delaying builds.

I'd be kind of unhappy with the rep firm, since they seem to be hard to deal with. Perhaps it's time to find some other manufacturer. The other responses on making sure you have multiple vendor's is excellent.

Dave

Reply to
David Bengtson

Take names. Then ask for the names of their manager(s). Contact managers, explaining your situation and including copies of relevant correspondence, and cc: the "grunts" who gave you no joy. Demand action (of the managers) as well as their follow-up, making clear that you are ready to "walk".

All that, only if you want to continue to put up with that company. Otherwise, just walk and don't look back.

Reply to
Michael

What's the old saying? "Jerk me around once, shame on you; jerk me around twice, shame on me."

What did the manufacturer say when you called up the office of the company President and said, "I'm tired of this $#!~. Give me the name of a distributer in a different region."?

Reply to
JeffM

I didn't assume that. I told them I'd need the resonators once we finally figured out that they rep'd a mfg that made the parts. That was settled on the 18th of Dec. I let them have their holiday slack time and just like the eval boards were forgotten due to Thanksgiving, everything prior to Christmas was forgotten. It's really hard to drag emails from the inbox to a WIP folder and those post-it notes are such a pain.

Yes, it was, and I did check whether this was some part that was going to be history soon. muRata MArketing may have had no way of knowing that their 2 terminal resonators were recommended as "tested and evaluated" in the spec sheet even though IIRC, it's muRata that offers free evals to companies making RF ICs. Maybe muRata didn't do an eval for those IC's. Maybe the IC mfg did it an gave them a stamp of approval so to speak.

I started dealing with these people since they were referred to me by the mfg., and I plan to send my customer a list of alternate sources in case they have trouble with this rep. It's the least I can do.

-- Thanks, Mike

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks. If I can get the resonators out of them, that'll finish the prototype and I can warn my customer that they might want to talk to a few different reps before production.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

That's basically what I've been thinking. I'm trying to strike a balance, I guess. I suppose the best indicator of when to get pissed-off is being pissed-off. Compared to other reps I've dealt with, I'd say this has been the worst experience, so far.

I was raised to expect good sevice in restaurants, etc., and although I see people taking it up the butt and coming back for more, I just can't do it myself. Mom told me if they don't get the message when you leave a penny for a tip, they weren't worth the penny.

Maybe my question should have been, "How many times do you say please?" :) Maybe saying please and thank you is a sign of weakness.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Reminds me of the time that the head of engineering told us to use the Mostek IC instead of the Seiko chip--BUY AMERICAN!

Before the design was finished, Mostek was sold to SGS and the availibility of the IC was in question.

What's that they say? "No good deed goes unpunished".

Reply to
JeffM