Practical road temp probe

Is it practical to use an IR thermometer to read surface temperature. The application would be under a vehicle, at highway speeds, on asphalt, with patches of ice. I was thinking of a remote sensing temperature probe, with a range of about 8 inches. I know very little about emissitivity, or the instruments in general. Any Comments? Al

Reply to
Teranews

"Teranews" wrote

I find there is often the possibility, when arriving early on the scene, and even though one knows nothing, to be one of the world's experts on the subject at hand.

My guess is Bosch may have the best handle on this. Next in line would be Delco/Delphi. What does a literature search bring up? Try google 'scholar'.

On a related subject, I would like to see the Agilent mouse technology used for vehicle speed and attitude determination for anti-lock braking and stability control.

There is an awful lot to be done on sensing the road beneath a vehicle.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

with

99J Infrared Temperature Sensor Surface Patrol The Model 999J dual temperature sensor measures surface and ambient (air) temperatures digitally. This system senses the pavement temperature under your vehicle as you drive at acceptable highway speeds. The driver is alerted in advance of temperatures that may be approaching the freezing point.
Reply to
CWatters

Thank you sir, I'll take that as a "Yes". I gave them a call, and they only wanted $1200.00 for it. I guess I'll have to find another way. Al

Reply to
Teranews

only

Why can't you just hack one of these:

For $50 you can obtain everything you need plus a laser to show you the exact spot on the road that you are measuring. ;-)

It appears that the $1200 "professional" version just mounts the sensor in a tube to ward off water and dirt. I really don't see why you couldn't just take apart a cheap handheld IR thermometer and remote the sensor to the bottom of the car.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

only

Perhaps cheaper...