Power Saver

Hi,

What does the so called "power saver" works. Is it effective?? It's a device where you put in the aircon breaker so that you bills would be less than without it.

Cozy

Reply to
Cozy

Just my wild ass guess, but the device is probably a 'power factor corrector'

An inductive load (such as the compressor in an A/C unit) induces a large phase shift during startup, so you get a large amount of current, but the power is not V x I - it's V x I x Cos theta.

As most electric meters measure current, (and assume the power factor is 1) you pay for more power than you are really using during that event. A power factor corrector adjusts the V - I phase relationship to keep them (closely) in phase.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:dALDETfSa10J:

*-NASA+Induction-motors+load+monitors-the-phase-lag

Reply to
JeffM

--
That's not true. (The part about the power meter.) Domestic power
meters are true watt-hour meters and measure energy consumed

Yes, it's this power factor corrector. It can really save up to 30% from the bills, right?

Is the construction of the unit really hard and composed of expensive parts? Because it's mostly sold above $100. Do you or anyone has a rough idea of what circuit components are inside it?

Cozy

Reply to
Cozy

Grab a couple of the units and reverse engineer them for yourself.. They're pretty old technology today... regardless of the super savings claims made by the marketers. Really good prices at

Dave M

Dave M