Plasma monitor lifetime

I've noticed that more plasma monitors are being sold for home use. What is the lifetime of such a unit?

I had a color TV set that I used for 20 years; I finally got rid of it when the mechanical remote control mechanism in the TV wore out.

I've recently seen ads that push the use of the monitor, when not used for viewing programs, as a display for art. But, will it die afte a year's constant use?

What would be the wearout mechanism, loss of material from the emitter, deposit of material on the phosphor, loss of the gas which produces the plasma???

Anybody have any experience with this?

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Reply to

I understand that they burn in relatively quickly. And they use a lot of electricity.

This may not be such a good idea. Though it will sell the screens.

BTW most have an ugly display of darker colors. The lowest light level isn't that low and dithering is used to work around this.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak