Pinout needed for TO-5 devices

I'm looking for pinout data for 2N333, 2N336, and 2N324. All are stated as being TO-5, a variant, AFAIK, of TO-92. All three of these are discontinued numbers.

When I check NTEINC.com for a cross, I get NTE123A in a different package:

National Semi and some others came up blank re. package data.

Where can I find the original pinout for these 2N devices?

(Which raises a general question: are all pinouts for all TO-5 devices the same?)

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

pin1 (the tab) Emitter Pin 2 Base (Connected to the case!) [Case 31(1)] Pin 3 collector

discontinued

Reply to
Thomas C. Sefranek

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 2:27:00 -0800, Thomas C. Sefranek wrote (in message ):

Thomas, Thanks for your reply.

I was not clear in my request. The 324, 333, and 326 are all plastic, "D-shaped" form factor. Is this TO-92? Is TO-5 only round metal? The only pinouts I could find match your data, but not the devices on my PCB.

I need pinouts for these 3 device numbers in the black plastic "D-shaped" form factor.

Thanks again for your effort,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveC

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:19:47 -0800, DaveC hath writ:

Are you kidding? Of course not! That would make too much sense. :-)

Jonesy

--
  | Marvin L Jones       | jonz         |  W3DHJ   |  OS/2
  |  Gunnison, Colorado  |  @           |  Jonesy  |  linux   __
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

YES it is most likely TO-92

Is TO-5 only round metal?

YES

Perhaps you are having trouble because you are using the wrong names for the case types.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:54:41 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote (in message ):

Yes, most likely :-)

Thanks!

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveC

Dave, those part numbers were obsolete by 1970, so I don't have any data on the case, but I do have their basic data in the 1970 Motorola Semiconductor Data Book.

--
I say, the boy is so stupid that he tried to make a back up copy of his
hard drive on the Xerox machine!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
The 2N324, 2N326, and 2N333 are JEDEC registered devices, so their
housings should always be TO-5.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

--
Oops...
They should be whatever the drawing specifies.  TO-5 for the 2N324 and
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 9:51:33 -0800, John Fields wrote (in message ):

I misprinted: it's not "326", but rather "336".

These all have the National logo (NS) followed by either "333", "324", or "336". I presume that they are all 2N devices.

That's the wonderful thing about specifications; there's so many to choose from :-)

Presumed so, albeit as a last resort...

Yes. I had a new one just sitting around that I'd like to use.

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveC

Not a safe presumption. They could be "house numbers" or even a date code. (Date codes are sometimes encoded.)

Where did they come from? Those numbers sound too low (old) to be in modern TO-92, IMHO.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle

7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net mentioned...

First off, the 2N300s were germanium, with the exception of the Texas Instruments 2N333 thru 338 series. Germanium transistors could not be passivated like a silicon can, so they were almost always mounted in a hermetically sealed metal container. If they were germanium and mounted in a plastic container, they would not last long, after a short time the plastic would contaminate the junctions.

So that means it's unlikely that these transistors were germanium.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

--
Hogwash.  I suggest you get a data sheet for a 2N4036 and take a look at
power dissipation VS case and ambient temp.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Checking National's site to see if they may be ICs:

LM333 - negative voltage regulator, TO-3 (no TO92 package listed)

LM336 - 2.5 volt voltage reference available in a TO 92 package.

LM324 - quad opamp - needs more than 3 pins, so not your part.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

In article , snipped-for-privacy@austininstruments.com mentioned...

No, it's _not_ hogwash! RCA Manual SC-15 Page 420. Right there in black and white: 7W. To prove it, I'll post a pic of the page to ABSE. Look for 2N4036 data sheet.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

The Motorola spec. says max Vceo is -65V and max. current is 100mA. That works out to 6.5W. Specs, though, may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Max power diss. is usually spec'ed with a case ambient of 25C. Kinda hard to maintain this with any kind of long term lifetime. Many times curves for various specs are extrapolated from lower power settings, currents and the like for marketing purposes. Beware if you try to use a component at its max ratings.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Reply to

The datasheets from the 60's and 70's often have such nonsense in the bold type at top. If you read down further you see that this spec only applies if you keep the case at 25C... which given typical TO-5 heatsinks means an ambient temp below -60C if the average dissipation is 7 watts for even a fraction of a second. And that the measurements above the half-watt level were made using pulse techniques.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

In article , snipped-for-privacy@trailing-edge.com mentioned...

message news:...

I have only one thing to say. Read the 2N4036 data that I posted to ABSe.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

message news:...

--
I did, a couple of times, and wondered why you didn't post the curve on
page 300 which, I'm sure, shows the power derating with elevating Tc and