"PICAXE Junior" micro.

Ron Hackett's recent US "Nuts & Volts" Picaxe micro. articles have certainly raised the profile of the UK sourced Picaxe microcontroller family ! Admirably so too- you'll do more with them in 30 minutes than you may manage otherwise in 30 days...

Local 12yo. NZ kids on a "boring/nothing to do" Easter holiday stimulated me to modify a dirt cheap "Electronic Brain Box" kitset I'd pointed them to at Dick Smith Electronics ( =>

) so it'd instead suit initial Picaxe microcontroller work. It's been highly successful ( & cheap)- see pix & comments at

=>

&

=>

&

=>

My initial "hack" was by hand ,but streamlining onto a small PCB would be preferred.

The idea is to build initial confidence with a LEGO style technique that they'll already be pretty familiar with, so they can then move on to the more professional ( & full featured ) Rev. Ed soldered kits etc. Learn to walk before you climb stuff.

This so called "Picaxe Junior" approach only offers 3 I/Os ( 1,2,4 ), which will be plenty for initial teaser work I'd say. Of course even the basic 08 could be used too- a great way to clean them out? Feedback appreciated, especially regarding the likely suitability for pre & early teens in schools with zilch budgets & weak electronics teaching skills. Yes- handy for weary eyed seniors too!

More details =>

manuka