PCI to ISA card

I was looking for a PCI to ISA card in order to re-use an ISA card with PCI connector of modern PC. I found costronic.com solutions. Do you know further solutions?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Fla

A search on "pci to isa" + card turns up a few hits. PLX has an RDK for the 9050 PCI to ISA bridge, but I suspect it's pricey.

'PCI%209050RDK'

--
  Keith
Reply to

It isn't easy to do, since the PCI technology is totally different from the comparatively simple ISA bus.

Your best bet will be to locate an adapter card, or a motherboard having both PCI and ISA slots.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Actually, it's not hard to do at all, unless the ISA card is a bus master (_very_ few were). Many devices use the PLX9050 PCI to ISA bridge to do exactly this.

--
  Keith
Reply to

from

master

do

Thank you all for the replies. I decided to use a development kit like PLX one (PCI 9052RDK-LITE, the upgraded version of PLX9050) for my purpose, so I'm looking for a development environment like that, for migrating ISA card to PCI connector.

Best regards

Reply to
Fla

How can an ISA card be a *bus master* ?

ISA is just the micro's data and address bus basically with a few extra pins to the interrupt controller !

I think only EISA and MCA cards had that ability prior to the adoption of PCI.

Then goes and wonders over some of the earlyish Adaptec SCSI controllers e.g AHA1540/1542. In which case how did they do it ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The device asserts a DRQ, waits for the corresponding DACK, then asserts MASTER, at which point it can drive the address/data/control lines as needed.

It's a *little* more than that.

No, it was there in ISA too, though not often used.

Yep. There was also the IBM Multi-media Modem (sound card/modem combined on one DSP) that used bus mastering to swap its OS and data in and out of system memory.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Thanks for the filling me in on the missing bits. I'll have to revisit the ISA bus standard to get to grips with this.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear