Overheating transformer.

I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp. It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or so.

Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly? Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?

Thanks. TonyV South Africa

Reply to
TonyV

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:04:11 +0200 TonyV wrote: | I am using a 50W (230V - 12V) transformer to drive a 5W halogen lamp. | It works fine but the transformer gets very hot after about 30 minutes or | so. | | Can someone please explain to me why it overheats so quickly? | Should I perhaps use a lower Wattage transformer?

Does it get hot if the transformer is energized but the light is off (either by using a switch on the 12V side, or by removing the bulb)?

A transformer will lose some power, of course. They do get hot. Maybe you can find a way to accurately measure the temperature rise.

Transformers used for electric power distribution often have temperature rise levels of 80C, 115C, or 150C, depending on the design class. They are rated for maximum of 220C typically, so with 40C ambient temperature, even the hotest ones have a 30C margin.

Small transformers tend to be less efficient, and it's not surprising that they get hot. Just how hot is enough for that one is unknown. Is it sealed?

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

What is the type number of the transformer. A lower wattage unit is unlikely to help if there is some other problem causing the heat.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor