OT: Restoring IE Favorites, Cookies, etc.??

I'm sure everyone is, by now, aware that I had a fatal computer crash.

Fortunately it's all backed up.

Question: How do I restore Internet Explorer's Favorites, Cookies, etc.??

...Jim Thompson

assuming you made a backup of the 2 folders first, you simply copy them back, I do this all the time.

Chris

Reply to
exxos

You misconscrewed my meaning.

I want to restore MY favorites, cookies, etc., that I had for locating useful URLs, communicating with bank and credit card accounts, etc.

...Jim Thompson

Windows by default should install all its shit all over your computer. Consider yourself lucky that it isn't.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Assuming you have your machine set up for *one* user (i.e. no "profiles"), restore the /Favorites and /Cookies folders.

--don

N.B. Incoming mail is unconditionally and silently discarded.

Reply to
Don

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'OT: Restoring IE Favorites, Cookies, etc.??', on Tue,

3 Aug 2004:

You probably don't, if you have lost the original files. In any case, why do you want to restore cookies? By and large, they are a menace. I spray them with cookie-killer from time to time. They should be called 'roaches', not 'cookies'. In any case, in UK they should be 'biscuits'. (;-)

John Woodgate

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Restoring IE Favorites, Cookies, etc.??', on Wed, 4 Aug

2004:

That's the downside. Cookies are frivolous or malign. Serious organizations that use them should be less ignorant.

I have to work with a site that is very important to me that uses all sorts of weird third-party tools, including stuff that Microsoft doesn't support in IE6. It's causing me endless problems, since February this year when I had to start using it.

John Woodgate

Frivolous or malign? Perhaps you are the ignorant one.

Tim

--
Google is not the only search engine.
Reply to

It's a minor PITA to have to re-subscribe to newspaper sites and so on, but of course you can just restore the files if you have them backed up.

I don't know how you restore those handy little buttons and customizable icons on the top bar of IE. Probably you don't.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Would you deign to provide enlightenment, or are you just throwing insults around for kicks?

John Woodgate

It depends which ones you're talking about :-) Some of them just show up, some are bookmarks; then I've got yahoo and google and ebay toolbars;

I never use any of them. How do you make them go away?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If it were me, I'd chide you about the use of "mailgn" about cookies. A cookie itself can't _do_ anything - it's just a text snippet. When your browser puts out a page request, if it has any cookies, it will send them out along with the request. I presume that it's smart enough to keep it to domain-specific cookies - and the server can read them and find whatever information it put there before when it set the cookie. If your browser doesn't have any cookies corresponding to that site, and the site author wants to, it can set a cookie, say, with your membername and preferences for something on their site. That's pretty much all they can do. I've never even heard of a browser trying to execute anything in a cookie - I suppose people could find out your "personal information" by reading your http request headers, but so what? It's pretty much a matter of public record once it's sent anyway.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Save a REG file with these keys. I have one that I restore every time I boot, because the IE toolbar here sometimes changes all by itself.

(The first one isn't for the toolbar, but it's also about user settings.)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\Explorer] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso