OT! OT! Not in Arizona

Poor legislators in Massachusetts whining over what their "Supreme" Court did to them.

In Arizona we'd already have them served with articles of impeachment, with trial to start on Monday ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I've no idea what it's about Jim, but I'll bet it qualifies as "Only in America"! :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Yep. Massachusetts Supreme Court ruled that it wasn't adequate to allow gays to have just a Civil Union, it had to be MARRIAGE.

Quite surprising coming out the predominate church/police state.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, the talk here in Massachusetts is that if "civil unions" are disciminatory as the court has ruled, the Massachusetts legislature will likely strike "civil unions" from the books pending an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage.

Like they say, "it ain't over till the fat lady sings"!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Uh, excuse me, but why not? I can't see how allowing gays to marry hurts anyone else, and if it leads to more monogomy, good; that may keep the drug bills down. Civil union, domestic partners, marriage, what's the difference? Might as well let them rent tuxes and limos and wedding dresses, whatever sex they are.

Of course the legal issue is different: the Mass court has miraculously discovered a constitutional right that 200+ years of prior jurisprudence somehow casually overlooked.

John

Why shouldn't they have a chance to be a miserable as the rest.

Reply to
JeffM

This is a prime example of where an engineer can help. Whereas some see the cup as being half-full and others see it as being half-empty, the engineer would see that making the glass smaller eliminates the riff-raff without disturbing the original party.

:)

Reply to
Mark J.

The whole issue is quite funny because it is the Courts who destroyed the institution of marriage in this country. Prior to the 1960's, the grounds for divorce were far and few between, requiring serious breach of fidelity, neglect, insanity, or other forms of serious and provable misconduct. This has since evolved into a simple filing, and incredibly the divorce rate is 50-75% or whatever. This does NOT indicate any kind of breakdown in moral values, it just means people will use their options- statistically marriages have always been a disaster for most people.

State control of marriage for non-legal purposes has always been a hysterical JOKE. If you don't want to extend marriage to gays, then don't tax them- since the discrimination bars them from enjoying equal benefits- try that and watch the whole damned country declare themselves gay!-LOL.

What goes around comes around. Now that Massachusetts is moving to give this type of marriage the status of State law, all states will be bound to legal recognition unless exception is made by the US Congress:

Full Faith and Credit clause

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The neutrality of this article is disputed.

Section one of Article four of the United States Constitution is known as the Full Faith and Credit clause. This section has traditionally been interpreted as requiring the reciprocal acknowledgement of each state's actions by the other states. It was primarily intended to provide for the continuity between states and enforcement across state lines of non-federal laws, civil claims and court rulings. Without this clause, enforcement of state-to-state extradition, portability of court orders, nationwide recognition of legal status, out-of-state taxation, spousal and child support, and the collection of fees and fines would all be impossible without separate federal action, or a similar action by the other states.

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof."

The clause has been noted for its application involving orders of protection, for which the clause was expounded upon by the Violence Against Women Act , child support, for which the enforcement of the clause was spelled out in the Federal Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Act , and its possible application to same-sex marriage, civil union and domestic partnership laws and cases , as well as the controversial Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment. The clause has been the chief constitutional basis for the repeated attacks on the DOMA.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

[snip]
[snip]

It is my understanding that fully 40 states have declared that they won't recognize the validity of this clause if applied to gay

*marriages*.

...Jim Thompson

This is not an option- they are bound by the Constitution and cannot pick and choose which of its Articles they validate. You have been around long enough to know this whole controversy is 150% politics- it creates platforms for notoriety and advancement for the crusaders- it is a waste of time and taxpayer money-all of the state laws will be challenged and greatly publicized in the Federal District Courts with as much fanfare and publicity as it takes to saturate the market for politicians and mass media products. And for what? This marriage thing looks like it's between middle-aged to older gay people who are a pathetically insignificant percentage of the population- let them get married- it will not be the end of the world.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Roll on the discovery of time travel, they can be drowned at birth then.

Reply to
Mjolinor

[snip]

Of course not, it's just the principle of the thing. We need to go out and impeach a bunch of lazy-ass judges and let them know that legislation from the bench will not be tolerated.

...Jim Thompson

You better believe it because this is exactly where we are headed with all the gene research and discovery of connections between genes and various undesirable results or defects. You might think about how many of us wouldn't be here now if our parents had this foreknowledge and decision option:_) Maybe it's better for God to decide afterall...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Kind-of an offshoot here, but on the discovery channel a few months ago there was a program about genes and some of the research we're doing. Scientists successfully isolated the gene in fruit flies which gives their eyes the typical reddish color. So they removed or replaced the gene and presto, fruit flies with white eyes. But then something very interesting happened: they ceased reproducing altogether. The females would sit alone, while the males formed long "chains" which continuously tried to reproduce with each other, quite unsuccessfully I might add. The net result was that the entire colony died out.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark J.

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred Bloggs wrote (in ) about 'OT! OT! Not in Arizona', on Sat, 7 Feb 2004:

Ah, but which god? Moloch was one who made fun decisions about child survival.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mark J. wrote (in ) about 'OT! OT! Not in Arizona', on Sat, 7 Feb 2004:

There are many, many factors that influence reproductive behaviour and success. The altered gene may not have directly made the males h*mo;, for example. I'm not sure that fruit-fly vision is completely characterised, and the 'white' eyes may have looked super-attractive and feminine in UV or IR. Consider the vary rare violet iris colour in humans. It looked very enticing when the eyes were Elizabeth Taylor's, but think of the effect if Saddam had 'em.

John Woodgate

Well, the *right* one, of course ;-)

Stefan
Reply to
Stefan Heinzmann

Arizona',

afterall...

decisions about child

And who decided which God is the "right" one?

Reply to
Roger Gt

have declared that they

if applied to gay

Constitution...

gay people who are a

population- let them get

thing. We need to go

let them know that

tolerated.

The only principle that counts is that all laws must comply with the Constitution of the United States. Nothing more!

If the news reports I heard were correct, the court was ask to correct "Existing legislation" which discriminated against a particular group and the legislature ask for "Guidance" as to how to correct the flaw. The court did not 'legislate' is corrected the law to comply with the Constitution!

By the way, polygamy is still practiced in parts of northern Arizona too. The only enforcement is applied to welfare fraud. As I have heard.

--
Reply to
Roger Gt

Everyone of intelligence recognizes that the only explanation for things being the way they are is that this is all a simulation. For instance, when the system crashes, the stack is saved and then restored, but sometimes minor corruptions occur. How else do you explain socks that vanish in the dryer or your car keys showing up in the refrigerator? You KNOW that you left that light on but now it is not only off, but unplugged! Last time I put these on, they fit- now they don't! I remember seeing Back To The Future 4, where the Biff from

1955 gets into Doc's Institute of Future Technology and eventually has to have his memory erased with that quantum scrambler... nobody seems to think that the series went beyond part III, sigh... And quantum mechanics proves that only the things you are observing are really being fully simulated. The Bell Continuum is a set of variables and registers!

Cheers!

Chip Shults

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III