? on SWR/wattmeter

I just bought a Herald Electronics SWR/power meter, and have a question on operation. The only SWR/power meter I am familiar with is the old Radio Shack CB tester I bought about thirty years ago. It has a multi-position rotary switch that you set to Cal for calibration (where you adjust a different knob until the needle swings to the appropriate point.) This one has no such position on the Function switch. Instead it has a two-position switch that says FWD/MOD SET/10W on top, and REF/MOD/100W on the bottom. I am guessing that this is somehow used for calibration, but have no clue as to how. How do you calibrate this puppy? Are most SWR/power meters built this way?

Thanks for any help.

Dave snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Dave

one

two-position

This sounds like a good question for the ham radio operators newsgroups, though, there may be someone here that could help you too.

Reply to
Ross Mac

on

multi-position

as

built

I still have an old Rad Scrap SWR meter in a drawer around here somewhere! I am not familiar with the Herald SWR meter and I now have a Daiwa cross-needle meter, however, you should (hopefully) have a manual for that meter but if not you might find the following helpful.

You will need to switch between one position and the other on that meter to check both forward and reflected SWR. The following website may help you to figure out how to use it.

Larry VE3YET

Reply to
Larry Green

question

Radio

This

bottom.

clue

Thanks for the link, Larry! I'll check it out.