Noise

I'm blind and hearing impaired. I need to use an equalizer in order to understand TV. When I hook the TV through the equalizer I get a loud hum that causes me to bearly understand whats being broadcast. If I disconnect the TV from the cable coming from the wall the noise disapeares. I've tried a ferrate filter, that didn't work. When I hook up the EQ to any other audio component, no noise. If I hook the TV directly to line in on an amplafier, no noise. Visio TV with Comcast cable through Behringer EQ. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks Jonny

Reply to
Jonny

Is it cable TV ? A common problem it seems in the USA caused by an 'earth/ground loop'. You can isolate the cable TV signal and stop this by using a simple device called a balun or it may even be called an antenna isolator. Any shop dealing in audio visual equipment should know what you need. Beware, prices vary widely but you're unlikely to notice any difference in performance.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Solution: use a ground loop isolator.

You can either buy one for audio frequencies in a car stereo shop or an RF type isolator in an antenna shop.

The first one gets connected between the TV and the rest of your audio gear, the latter gets connected at the antenna side of your TV.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok