Negative charge circuit to repel snow paticles

Is there any one who can advice me on building a negative charge circuit. I am a beginner at circuit designing and i want to confirm my ideas to build a Negative Charge Circuit.

I am planning to use a 555 timer to generate 1kHz clock frequency and use a operational amplifier LM741 to bring it down to below 0 Volt. I am using a long copper wire connected to op-amp output for negative charge. I am also aware there are other passive component needed, but i can work that out by myself.

The idea of long copper wire which will be place in zig-zag position on top of wooden/plastic tray, is basically to test whether it has the potential to repel snow paticles which is said to be negatively charge by many enviormental research.

My Question: Is positive voltage inverted to negative by an Op-Amp considered as negative charge?

Thank you. Raj

Reply to
Rajkumar512

----------- Nobody knows what the hell you mean, it sounds like you've bought in to some ridiculous phony superstitious version of physics.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

circuit. I am

use a

a long

aware

myself.

top of

to repel

negative

Reply to
Neil

I'm sorry, if it's not clear... probably i'm not good in electronics term. Basically what i needed is a negative charge wires, that's why, after doing my homework in electronices site, i just wondering passing negative voltage to a wire may introduce negative charge.

Sorry again. :)

Reply to
Rajkumar512

Not clear why you would need an op-amp (or ANY circuit, for that matter). Just connect the negative side of the output to your experimental grid wire.

Assumes you have an isolated supply (proper power supply or battery) which would be the safe way to do the experiment regardless of how you connect things.

The only real difference between a "Negative Charge Circuit" and a "Positive Charge Circuit" is which way around you connect it, isn't it?

I suppose. It depends somewhat on what YOU mean by "charge" Voltage? Waveform? (or DC?)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Actually i don't reallly know how much power needed to repel the snow particles.

It's all started when I have seen a ducumentary over the TV about snow paticles, that really interested me. Searching through internet, by those who did reseach on the snow particles, did confirm me that snow particles do carry negetive charge.

Basically what i'm actually wanted to do is "Anti Frost Sign Board". Below are some of the intresting link that actually inspired me to carry on with my ideas.

I am a secondary drop out, thus do not poses much knowledge in realm of electronics or physics, however i am a self learning individual through trials and errors. I love to explorer new knowledges but definately not sitting in front of book and then take a test to grade me.

p/s: i don't really know what's the end result will be but if i never try i will never know. :)

Thank you for taking intrest in my idea.

Raj

Reply to
Rajkumar512

Why screw around with generating extra voltages? You already have a bipolar source to power your opamp circuit, just connect it to two (otherwise unconnected) test wires on your insulating tray. One will be negative, obviously, and you can compare the two to see which if either repels snowflakes. You might need a higher voltage than ordinary batteries can supply to get a visible effect, in which case your opamp can be used to feed a voltage multiplier circuit.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Searching through internet, by those who

carry

are

Its an interesting idea, but I don't think that passing a negative voltage through a wire will have any effect on falling snow, unless perhaps the wire gets hot and melts the snow that touches it! I think what you want to create is more of a Van de Graf generator that would create a huge static potential, measured in kilovolts, but possesing little current. If the potential of the static charge was identical to the snowflake charge, then you would see the effect of the snowflakes being repelled by the static charge.

I believe that an effective static charge generator is an expensive endeavour if you are building one from scratch, but I have seen a design for an inexpensive "air ionizer" built from an automobile ignition coil that might help you get closer to your goal. If I remember correctly, there was a pulse generator (made from a '555 timer) that drove a small amplifier which in turn was connected to the primary (low voltage input) on the ignition coil. The secondary (high voltage output) side of the coil was connected to an exposed wire. The high potential on this exposed wire would ionize dust particles in the air and cause them to drop out, thus "purifying" or "ionizing" the air in a room. Never built one though, but it could be done fairly cheaply, especially if you bought the parts at a junkyard. Just be very careful with the high voltage side, you know, dealing with deadly currents stopping you heart and all that.

Reply to
Bob F.

Looks like some interesting reading there. A quick overiew of the first page of the second link gives charge/mass ratios ranging from -10 mC/kg to -208 mC/kg. Blizzards as current flow, now there's a concept! I wonder what sort of Hall effect you could get?

One other thing, frost is not snow. Even if you could manage to repel snow with a voltage frost would still build up, although it could well have an effect on the orientation of the ice crystals.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

So what you probably want is to set up a field. One wire negative (where you do not want snow) and one positive (where you want the snow to go instead).

You want a high voltage. But it shouldn't be dangerous, so make sure it is current limited.

It would be the best to try this in open field first. If you think 9 volts should suffice that makes it even easier: just 2 wires to a 9 volt block - and some way to measure the snowfall under the wires.

Sounds like an interesting and simple experiment. If there is no measurable effect you could always go to voltages above a 1000 volts, but safety becomes an issue. Better chance that you will see any effect though.

Good luck,

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Raj, If you re-read the third page of the first URL you posted, under the Experimental Results, the last paragraph, you will see that this experiment used two very high voltage power supplies. Each power supply was 15 kV (15,000 volts) to achieve a reasonable deflection of the snow flake after the flakes were "dropped" into a deflection chamber in which there was very little air disturbance. I hope you will continue to pursue your interest in this project but I would issue a strong word of caution - 15 kV power supplies can be very dangerous. If you do buy or build a high voltage power supply, make _absolutely sure_ that it is well out of reach in your experiment. For further understanding of the principles involved in this experiment you might Google on such terms as "electrostatic deflection", ink jet printers and how they work and as a last resort, cell sorters (ignoring the fluorescence activation parts). Please be extra careful!

Best, Jim

Reply to
Jim Parson

I have gain great knowledge and new ideas based on many people who have shared thier knowledges with me. Really, i need to explore on those ideas and experiment on it. Anyway here is answer to your question:

"The reason for using clock is to introduce pulse, it's just and idea i got it based on my past experiment with magnetics. It's like this, say a fixed and constant force of North Pole magnet is pushing another North Pole magnet, the distance is fixed at same point. But when i used a non-constant force at fixed North Pole magnet (like swinging) the other North Pole reaches greater distance of point. I hope you understand what i mean.

The Op-Amp is to invert the positive clock to negative, (this is the point where i am not certain, and the reason for posting the message at this news group) I think by inverting below zero volt, may introduce negetive charge. My little knowledge say that zero is ground point, so more than zero is positive thus it's positively charge, if below zero it may be negatively charge. I am not certain about this but seeking others opinion and expertise to help me up."

My sincere thanks to all those who have shared your knowledges with me.

Many thanks; Raj

Reply to
Rajkumar512

news

charge.

I understand what you are saying and why you might think that - but it's not what you need to build.

If your idea is to work you will probably need a very large -ve voltage (much more than an op-amp can produce).

What you really need to build is a large -ve voltage power supply. If you have a +ve power supply with an _isolated output_ you can turn it into a -ve supply by connecting the +ve output to earth. That forces the -ve output to go below 0V.

There are lots of power supply circuits on this page but I urge caution as it would be easy to kill yourself with many of these circuits.

CWatters