Need to ID another SMD part...

Still playing with the lightning-hit modem from the other day. Have tracked traces to a component I can't ID, and am unable to get any kind of useful meter reading from.

Physical: Approx 6.5mm long, slightly less - perhaps 4.5-5mm wide, < 2.5mm thick. Solid black body with silver/grey-ish markings. Two protruding tabs, one on each short side, bent down to make contact with solder pads on PCB.

Drawing/markings:

| Approx | | 6.5mm | | | | | V V --------

Reply to
Don Bruder

ST Microelectronics (SGS-Thomson).

You guessed it - Transient Voltage Suppressor. It should normally be open-circuit, I believe.

Try googling for "SMD codebook" for help identifying the markings on it. Yes, I could give you a URL, but I'm teaching you to fish, as per request :)

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Time for a heartfelt "D'OH!!!!"... I knew I recognized the logo. Just couldn't dredge the name that went with it out of the rubble-filled crater that is my memory!

Wow... MASSIVELY lucky guess! Also the only thing I could come up with that made even a little bit of sense.

Smart-aleck! :)

Thanks a bunch. I'll check the st page and try to find this little widget. Maybe it's supposed to be "open", maybe not... Need to find out for sure before I continue chasing traces. It MIGHT be the "deal-breaker" part that I need to fix. Or, there might still be more trouble further "upstream"... That's the joy of lightning hits... You never know WHAT might have cooked off.

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net
Reply to

A TVS is a Zener Diode rated for, ta da, supressing transients. There are two types, one that's like a zener diode and another that's bidirectional, looking like two zener diodes back to back. They have their limits in terms of watts or joules that they can absorb. If one took too big a hit, it would probably look open.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier