Need Special Effects for Office Party

My office has decided to have a Halloween office party theme of Rome this year. I quipped about coming as "The Electric Gladiator." I was taken by surprise at how strongly my comment grabbed everyone's imagination. So, now I need to figure out a way to make a respectable presentation as an electrified Roman gladiator.

I am asking for help getting it put together. Keep in mind that I work in a computer center. Although everyone in the office denies this is a concern, I don't believe that a lot of open sparks are a good idea in the office. So, I am leaning more towards using lights (light bulbs, black lights, LEDs, EL displays, whatever I can find), with very limited (if any) use of electrostatics. Even so, if I could deliver a strong spark to my office manager, I will count it as a win for the day (he probably would, too). He is coming armed with a pair of spike-studded balls on chains, and he intends to challenge gladiators (especially me) to combat.

Two other limiting factors: I don't want to spend very much money and I don't want to do a lot of construction. I would prefer not to spend anything, but I might be able to justify spending $50 for a really good idea (especially if I win the costume contest of $100). Several years ago, I built a high voltage power supply that operated off a 6 Volt battery, but I had to return the main component to the man who loaned it to me; I am able to design and build simple high voltage power supplies. I am simply trying to avoid doing so.

Maybe something operating off a 9V battery? Does anyone know of a solid-state converter that will convert 9 Volt DC to (say) 3kV A.C.? I was thinking of maybe using a Class C amplifier to get the brief voltage spike I want.

I would appreciate your assistance on this project.

Thank you.

Reply to
pooua

Generating a few kV from a battery is trivial - if you really want to do it, search using keywords like 'car ignition coil' and 'battery' and 'high voltage'. However it's a bad thing to do this because you don't know the health of the people you're going to zap and you're in a computer centre that you don't own, so you can get sacked. So can your boss - if he lets you go around zapping people he oughta go too. I wouldn't let you - hey, maybe it'll be okay, but I bet the risk analysis says "Don't do this!". Use lights - make a LED light saber or something instead.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

This place has el wire and portable battery packs to power same...

CWatters

Afterwards you can sell it on ebay.

Reply to
CWatters