NEC plasma TV: what's the cause of image "solarizing"?

This 8 year old NEC PX-42MP3A plasma has some -- what I'd call solarizing effects. See this photo of the screen:

Note the fine blue and red outlines on the cheeks of both faces. These surround the highlights on the faces (cheekbones). (Disregard all the horrid horiz. and vert. lines -- those are due to moire effect with the camera. They're absent on the TV screen).

I've adjusted all the controls (bright, contr, sharp). At extreme low light + low contrast the effects are minimized but still visible.

The specs in the manual say that the color reproduction is "RGB 256 color steps 1677millions colors".

Is this something caused by poor design? Failing electronics? Or...?

This display is new to me, so I have no history to report.

Thanks,

--
John English
Reply to

Is this same problem present on all input signals? Is the photo you posted taken from a DVD, a live cable or satellite signal etc?

Reply to
<nospam

The panel is getting old. Possibly a Vs adjustment would fix it, at least temporarily.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

That isn't solarization. It's more like posterization.

It looks, in part, as if the display cannot create sufficiently small brightness steps to render fine shadings. By modern standards, 8-bits per color would be considered rather skimpy.

My gut feeling, though, is that the set is defective, most likely whatever chip or board does the D-to-A conversion.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

electronic component?

This is a power supply voltage adjustment?

--
John English
Reply to

New developments:

Close-up:

Same effect seen on all inputs.

Could this be a power supply problem?

--
John English
Reply to

Not sure if it's the PS, but if that's how it looks with different sources, it definitely needs repair.

Reply to
Kalarama

I didn't read the original post. What is the history, be brief.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's 8 years old. Splurge for a new TV already.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

I have a 50-inch Pioneer. It is beautiful.

Ignoramuses making statements like "spend the money, already" just show their immaturity.

There are many reasons for resurrecting an old display: as a hobby; to keep it out of the landfill; to give to an older friend who can't afford one; just to mention a few.

Although it's first on your lips, 'cheapskate" is not always the reason...

--
John English
Reply to

To summarize: I just received this monitor, so I don't know its distant history, but...

The image will "solarize", it seems to be compressed in a small range of contrast. See this image:

Note the blue and red outlines of the highlights (cheekbones & noses). These highlights seem to "sparkle". (The horiz & vert lines are just moire effect with the camera; ignore these.)

Then this morning when I turned it on, I got these images: