NE-2H (Neon Lamp) Specifications

Thanks, Oppie!!

...Jim Thompson

The first digital clock I ever saw (about 1965) used Nixie tubes as both the output display and the storage elements. Each digit was wired in a ring-oscillator like (but stable) arrangement. When the input pulse came in the current number was turned off and the next on. Clearly there must have been some trick to get it into the right initial state, or at least some initial state with only one lamp lit. but at the time (7th grade) I didn't know enough to ask about that. (and I hope I'm remembering it correctly)

There were neon tubes optimized for this sort of operation, with a single small dot for each state, rather than a whole digit.

but as best I remember the design used the Nixie (with perhaps a single transistor/digit) for the state storage as well as the display. Of course it did not need to count very fast....

Lou Scheffer

Reply to
Louis Scheffer

correctly)

course

Similar to the early nuclear monitoring equipment. the earliest Gieger counter with electronic counters had several columns of indicators labeled

0-9. they were neon type indicators that advanced with each count. at '9' reset to 0 and cary to next column. Awkward to read but from what I understand, implemented only with the neon indicators as the counting elements.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Could you please repost it? It didn't come up on my isp :-(

Or send it to: etsteve@ . yahoo.com .

--
Steve Sousa
Reply to

In replying to Jim's message with the post, I forgot to delete the other non-binaries groups from the address. the only group it should actually be in is a.b.s.e.

Copy sent by email (broadband is great)

Reply to
Oppie

Heh! They need a proofreader! Anybody see anything wrong with the caption (and the circuit, for that matter) in Fig. 13, page 100? (100??!?!?!!!??? --- 0h, I see. It's from a mag, and starts at 94. Never mind.)

(and I already know at least 3 answers, of which 2 are related, I'm not asking just to get the answer without looking for it. Oh! I've got it! Spoiler Space! | v

Cheers! Rich

v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

  1. It's holding a constant voltage at the _cathode_.
  2. The feedback is to the control grid. The screen grid is connected to that 22K.
  3. OOpps! I thought that was 3 errors, because if it really was intended to go to the screen grid, (which the voltage level is all wrong, and there's nothing being input to mix it with), the tube would be drawn wrong. Never mind. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Somehow, having Fig.16 from the .pdf and that ring osc. from the link Tim Shoppa posted both in my brain simultaneously, out pops:

Jeopardy Light!

+V (or minus V - what the heck, they're NE-2's!) | [R1] | +-------+-------+---+---+-------+-------+-------+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | [N] [N] [N] [N] [N] [N] [N] | | | | | | | +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | [R] [S] [R] [S] [R] [S] [R] [S] [R] [S] [R] [S] [R] [S] | | | | | | | | | | | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+-+-+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+ | | | -V

First guy that fires hogs all the volts. This would work, wouldn't it? Or has it been done,like, a hundred years ago?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Uhmmm? This really makes no sense! What are the "R" and "S" parts of the schematic? Reset and Set push buttons? ..or Resistor and Switch?

Me thinks you have a wee little bit more work to do.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Is the per-neon [R] a resistor or a reset switch? I don't think it's a reset switch because the simplest way to do that is to disconnect power.

If it's a resistor then I don't think the circuit will work as intended ... a neon will fire even before a switch has been closed.

All that said, remove the per-neon [R]'s and then I think it'll be what you want.

The circuit of Fig 16 is true genius. Not only does it tell you who was first, but also second, third, etc. True genius!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa