Multi Drop

What is "Multi Drop"? I saw the term used in conjunction with GPIB. I'm familiar with GPIB but never heard the term "Multi Drop" before.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just a way that a multiple number of devices can be connected on the same communications line.. Normally, these devices all operate with open collector outputs so that any device can pull a line down with out electrically conflicting with others or, multiple devices can pull the line down etc..

Since the RX electronics only requires a sinked input. This works out very well.

Reply to
Jamie

It means a single "wire" or interface line (perhaps several individual "cables" or "wires") can go to many places, as opposed to a "single drop", which would be a point-to-point connection. It doesn't necessarily mean that each node can transmit and receive data.

"Jamie", as usual, has everything wrong.

Reply to
krw