Motor brake on cordless power tools?

On battery-powered power tools, is the "electronic brake" feature simply a short-circuit of the p.m. motor when the speed-control trigger is released? Or is there some other, fancier braking juju being applied?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

On every powered drill I've seen (including battery-powered), the brake is mechanical -- when one lets go of the trigger, the spring allows a plate physically connected to that trigger to press against the cam of the motor. But you may be talking about something completely different here.

--

             Email:  mailto:ToasterKing@SPLATbigfoot.com
       Visit ToasterKingdom at http://SPLATtoasterking.tripod.com/

released?

Hmmm, at what year did your experience start ? From mine I have yet to see a mechanical brake on a powered drill, but then I have not pulled a modern one down (ie after about 1995. Would it also be a place of origin issue since each country has it's own standards ??

-- Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 04:46:47 -0700, Rheilly Phoull wrote (in article ):

What kind of brake *have* you seen on drills? Do they use motor short-circuit for "electronic braking"?

--
Please, no Google links. I wouldn't ask a
question here if I hadn't done that already.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Consumer-grade drills rarely have mechanical brakes; pro-grade drills typically do.

--
John Miller

Boy, that crayon sure did hurt!
Reply to
John Miller

released?

Pretty much. My cheapo gets what looks like a 10ohm resistor put across the motor.

Reply to
John Jardine

released?

The decent quality cordless drills I've seen do exactly that, generally it's a low ohm resistor.

Reply to
James Sweet