Mosquito Repeller

I walked by a big bin of these at the OSH store yesterday evening, and I couldn't resist the temptation to buy one ($6.97) just for its collectible value. It's a Lentek 'Mosquito Contro' which is a bit bigger than a business card and about 3/8" (10mm) thick (not counting the pocket clip), and uses two LR44 button cells for power. It has a "0 I II" switch and a "HI LOW" adjustment pot for 'fine tuning'.

I'm fully aware of this:

What I'm wondering is why, after almost two years, they are still selling these in the stores. With the packaging that misrepresents that these things actually work - says "repels mosquitos from your personal space".

I can take the key chain off and use it for whatever. But the unit, well, I guess I'll just tell people that this is just for grins.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Dark

and I

collectible

clip),

and a

selling

these

space".

well,

money

You are the one who's taking it out of context. They said, " would prohibit the respondents from representing that:" which means this only appliers to the respondents, i.e. Lentek International, Inc., Joseph Durek, a former Lentek principal, and Lou Lentine, a current principal.

You're just on one of your tirades.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Do you actually get much of a problem with mosquitoes in the US? I'd always thought of them as most associated with the tropics...

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to

We are getting more and more problem all the time. The Greenies have decided that we need to sprout up "wetlands" everywhere new construction happens. To do this, they force developers to put in elaborate holding ponds/swamps for storm water runoff. These ponds/swamps are the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.

In other areas, they have increased the amount of wetlands by raising the drainage culverts for driveways and small roads 6 inches, or so, above the ditch bottoms. This is supposedly to slow down the runoff, and make mini drainage ponds that allow the storm water to soak in. What actually happens is mini swamps that harbor mosquitoes are formed.

In Virginia, a small outbreak of malaria was recently reported. The vector is believed to be a small group of illegals from Mexico that were found to harbor the disease. They were working as landscapers on a mosquito ridden island, and infected the local crop of mosquitoes.

All through the East Coast, West Nile disease is starting to flourish. Crows, which are very vulnerable to the disease, are dropping from the sky. I have several friends who have contracted the West Nile disease. It wiped out about 4-6 months of their lives while they combated extreme fatigue and bouts of confusion.

Since DDT is banned worldwide, and there is nothing as safe or effective to use as a substitute, it is just a matter of time before the US has problems with yellow fever.

But that really doesn't matter, because the little duckies have a place to swim.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Most definitely not. We have mosquitoes up here in Canada, along with another nasty bugs (black flies, I think the northern states also have those). TTYL

Reply to
repatch

money

human

Well, some parts of the U.S. are _in_ the tropics. Like Hawaii, Florida, etc.

But here in So. Calif, there's an occasional death from West Nile virus, and there are some areas with skeeters along areas where there's stagnant water, like wetlands. As some of the areas where wetlands once were are reestablished, it would seem that the skeeter problem will get worse. But it's not much of a problem.

But I started off this thread with a discussion of mosquito repellers, their efficaccy, and this company, not mosquitoes in general. Ans why am I able to buy one of these almost two years after this company agrees to stop misrepresenting their products as capable of repelling skeeters.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

construction

holding

perfect

formed.

mosquitoes.

disease.

effective

place

You make some valid points, but it should not be implied that because of the diseases, we should wipe out the habitats of other animals. After all, wiping out the disease itself, or its vector, the mosquito, is really the solution. DDT did wonders for eradicating malaria and those fevers in africa, but we all know that when it got into the food chain, it did serious damage. So perhaps it's better to use something like this (see URL below) to catch the skeeters, instead.

Wow, 176 species of skeeters in the U.S.! Read the last paragraph for a quick summary of the methods used to control skeeters.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th
[snip]

The problem we have in Arizona... it rained once upon a time and made a mudhole... and, as is common to the desert, the mudhole sprouted toads.

Then the DUMBSHIT GREENHEADS got it declared a wetlands by the Clinton administration, and we now have to keep adding water to the mudhole to keep it wet.

So we have mosquitos in the desert :-(

I think the cure for mosquitos is to treat DUMBSHIT GREENHEADS with massive doses of Dioxin ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The problem with the mosquito traps is the only thing they can effectively trap is your money. Every study of the traps has shown that there are way more mosquitoes than the traps will ever catch.

DDT is an example of a clusterfob of major order, every bad thing it was said to have done has been proven to be wrong.

Look at:

You might find it interesting.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

because of

After

those

chain,

for a

The answer to mosquito problems if you live in N America is to put up Purple Martin houses. Now that's a mosquito trap. ;-) Of course you can easily find information on the net lumping that in with the ultrasonic repellers. I can only offer anecdotal evidence that they do indeed work. One only needs to watch flocks of them feeding in the early evening hours to know that they are packing mosquitos away.

It may be true that martins will eat other insects, but it certainly appears to me that mosquitos are their food of choice.

I'd have to say that I'm far more afraid that my doctor will prescribe some brand new pill for me than I am about DDT. No matter how trivial the condition treated, it seems that every "modern" medicine is sure to cause liver damage and now it seems like heart damage is popular as well, not to mention the repressed imune systems response. Surely this all has nothing to do with patents, it just must be that all better medicines need to be made from ever larger and larger molecules that the human body can't possibly safely metabolize.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anyone know about those devices that generate a CO2 fog, attracting the mosquitos and then "vacuums" them into a trap?

...Jim Thompson

of

After

those

chain,

for a

Good point. But the 'greenheads' aren't so dumbshit, they're pretty smart; they're using (or abusing) the system to their advantage. You're being over-reactionary, they're no different from you. They just want to take advantage when they can. ;-)

So what you need is a law that says that if they are trying to replace drylands with wetlands, they are the ones that are 'screwing up' the environment.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

=========================== US, and even further north. When the big hatch starts up north I don't think the tropics can even compare. The waves of skeets are like clouds. They are that dense and that numerous.

Reply to
rick etter

(snipped)

Yes. Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes*, has mosquitos. Lots of mosquitos. Much of Canada and Wisconsin and Michigan have, too. The east coast of the US has them all up and down it. Alaska, hardly tropical, is famed for them. Most of the states that have them seem to make jokes about them being the state bird.

Here the are mainly a nuisance. They do spread some disease, but no major problems, even with West Nile yet.

*Our motto, actually many more, along with ponds and swamps that aren't counted.

Cyli r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels. Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.invalid (strip the .invalid to email)

Reply to
Cyli

because of

After

those

chain,

for a

Interesting, but they failed to mention some species, notably the condor, so I'd say that they are definitely biased. Good journalism gives fair treatment to all sides.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

There is more than enough junk out there that is biased against DDT. This guy's point was that the studies presented by the EPA as reason to ban DDT did not support the conclusions the EPA said they did. The EPA lied.

Ruckelshaus was just plain going to save us from DDT, and that was that!

The most interesting point is the conclusion that DDT was banned because the world wasn't willing to support the population boost removing mosquito born illnesses would cause in the third world countries.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Every study I have seen says they work, but not well enough to make a dent in the mosquito population. And because they attract mosquitoes, you don't want to be anywhere near the traps.

As another poster said, purple martins are more effective.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

I've read that they're supposed to be used for a couple of days before you really need them. If you're having the neighborhood barbeque, you want them up a good two to three days or more in advance. You want them at the opposite end of the property from where you're going to have the humans. I think it was 50 feet or more.

Not up there in ideal for camping unless you manage to convince someone three sites down that you're doing them a favour by letting them use it. Not good for anything but RV camping (or if you've got a really big vehicle for car camping. It's not backpacking gear...

Cyli r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels. Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com.invalid (strip the .invalid to email)

Reply to
Cyli

I wish ours were as small as birds. Had to use my deer rifle on two of them today. One had my Great Dane in a head lock while the other tried to violate her!

Reply to
Bart

Last summer was *very* light on mosquitoes. Almost none, only a few after the occasional rain (was kinda dry too) here in S WI. Then again, with the hot non-winter, I'm pretty sure those were mosquitoes I saw at the last trip to the junk yard. Occasional groups a foot or two across buzzing above a puddle or whatever, but what's unusual is in all my life I've never seen any over 1/4". These were like 1/2"...

Tim

Tim Williams