More questions on microphones

Okay, so I have learned how the microphone I purchased that comes with what looks like a stereo plug expects to be used and connnected, and now have another question of a similar nature. This link

should take us to the page on Amazon.com for a "mini microphone" which works with the iPhone or iPod touch, and is pictured attached to the latter. Only this microphone comes with a jack that has *four* connections (ground/+5V/signal/?). Can anyone help me figure out what the connections on this jack are expecting to find when plugged in? It apparently uses plug-and-play software that resides on the iPhone or iPod, or which is downloaded for whatever device. I am guessing that the extra connection is for this plug and play feature, and may perhaps be ignored if things are set up correctly. But if that is so, which of the four connections is the extra one?

I am hoping to make use of this microphone on the "remote" for the intercom I am building for my front door, and the microphone I asked about before on the "outside" portion of that same intercom. Therefore, I seek to learn what they expect to be connected to and how. Please forgive if what I ask should be obvious, I am coming from a position of ignorance and only seek to cure same.

Thanks much.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The microphone for the iproducts plugs into what was once just a headphone jack. The tip and first ring are left and right audio out, the sleeve is common. The 2nd ring was added (used with the common) to add the microphone.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Humm. So the microphone is likely nothing more than a common electret microphone. I'm not sure I understand how it can work as such while plugged into a headphone jack however. Please tell me, what am I missing here?

Thanks much, seriously.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's why they don't work in the early generation ipods. The newer versions have a contact for the 2nd ring.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

the microphone doesn't use the terminals that prsesent the left and right audio signals, it uses the second ring terminal and the common sleeve terminal

C M R L |____ ___ ___ _ _ # # # -- \ # # # | ____#___#___#_--_/ | C - common M - mic (bias and signal) R - right earpiece L - left earpiece

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

THANK YOU! Thank you very much. Now I know how to hook it up...

MUCH appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave