MAX232, Sharing RxD lines

I have a system where I have one device talking to two others via RS232. I have the two receivers RxD lines tied together and to the transmitters TxD. Is this OK? The MAX232 spec shows an input resistance of ~5K ohms which seems low.....

Richard

Reply to
<rsoennichsen

Yep, done often.

Most RS232 devices have low input resistance.

Reply to
budgie

Yes - one RS-232 transmitter should be able to drive a few receivers. However, you cannot have multiple transmitters talking on the same wire.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html

The short answer is that it should be OK but might be a problem if you have very long cables and low power drivers. If in doubt, load up your transmitter (include any cable capacitance) and measure the peak to peak wave form (at the max bit rate) at the input to one of the receivers with an oscilloscope

I believe that the minimum RS232 logic levels (eg with transmitter loaded) is +/- 5V and that receivers are specified to operate with input levels as low as +/- 3V (the difference between +/- 5 and +/- 3 is to provide a noise margin).

TxD.

CWatters

OK, this is good news. Thanks to all for the comments.

Richard

have

an

noise