Making a hole in a flat panel display (literally)

That's not quite correct on a couple of points - not ALL types of LCDs rely on polarization (some work via a switchable light-scattering effect, for instance), and the way the standard twisted-nematic (TN) or "supertwist" (STN) types operate isn't quite as described above. But it's certainly close enough with respect to the vast majority of color displays that might be used in this application, with regard to the fact that they DO pretty much all output polarized light. (Using an LCD display with polarized sunglasses can be interesting, to say the least...:-))

Better to go with a plasma panel, if it MUST be a "this flat screen" - or what's wrong with the good ol' color CRT?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Never mind me, my intention was mainly to set up Fred once again to show the world what an asshole he is.

Your question was a bit naive in the way that you might have done some previous research on how displays work before posting up.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

A backlit display will do nicely in this case.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Standard troll propaganda- appeal to losers like yourself with a big inferiority complex- when in fact your real motive is to disrupt the NG with your anti-American trash. You have nothing to contribute- you are a loud mouthed ignoramus- check your posting history-under both Yellow Dogmanure and ChaosMaster- there is absolutely nothing there besides superficial garbage and off topic trolling.

Well that would not be you then , would it, Yellow Dogmanure.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

that

There is other evidence that they count in "Beanary", they fart about all day in the garden and in large numbers can have a similar effect to beans on the human bowels. I will stick with denary 11 in the abscense of any stronger evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
Mjolinor

Huh, where did you see anything anti-American in this?

So you finally found something derogatory, took a long time about it too. Besides, I have no relation to CM. Lay off that bottle for a while, OK?

Proportionally I have been more on-topic than you. Not very prolific at either, but hey, I'm busy. As for loud mouthed white trash, check your own history, not very flattering is it?

PKB, sweetie.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Read it again, stupid. Nobody will be mislead by paying attention to any particular statement in any particular post. You have made your intentions clear with hundreds of off-topic and off-charter anti-war and anti-American posts.

You are a liar- Yellow Dogmanure Liar- YDL.

That is a lie, Yellow Dogmanure Liar-YDL.

You are not prolific at all- the word does not apply to polluters- you are not a prolific polluter, Yellow Dogmanure.

Thaz' your opinion, Yellow Dogmanure, but then you have demonstrated that you are all about being a liar, isn't that right, Yellow Dogmanure Liar, the Liar from Brazil, the Yellow Dogmanure Liar from Brazil...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

So you've counted them all. How many does it take to fill the Albert Hall? So I'm anti-stupid, where did you get the rest from?

Speaking of off-topic and off-charter, have a look in the mirror, baby-face.

*SHRUG*

PPOSTFU. Hey, are you being paid for being stupid or is it just a hobby of yours?

But you more than make up for it, stupid. Prolific newsgroup polluter, thy name is Motor Mouth Bloggs.

You have a real talent for showing the world just how stupid you are, Freddy boy. Where have I lied? You're just sore I'm pointing out all of your failings, makes you feel a bit suicidal, doesn't it?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

This made me curious also, so I did some web searching. I didn't find much. It's hard to winnow the search results down to just displays ... "liquid crystal" polymers are apparently used in all sorts of things, such as coatings, injection-molded polymers, and of course pressure- and temperature-sensitive paints. And a lot of the chemicals used are considered trade-secret. The most nearly informative thing I found was this OCR of a conference summary:

By completely failing to mention the liquid crystal itself, it suggests that it's not terribly toxic or dangerous. But who knows.

--
      Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

snip

H. Dziardziel

It's not terribly toxic or dangerous, and there is VERY little of this material in any given LC display (the thickness of the LC layer itself is on the order of a few microns). There are literally thousands of different materials used in LCDs, but they're pretty much all organic compounds of moderate complexity. You'd have to pick out one specific compound to find out much about its properties.

It's still not something you'd want to be drinking, of course...:-)

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

And somewhere around the time of 01/20/2004 23:37, the world stopped and listened as Quack contributed the following to humanity:

If that's the case, then why not just put it ON the screen?

--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.
Reply to
Daniel Rudy