Looking for repair ideas on a projection TV.

I have a ProScan 60" rear projection TV sold under the RCA brand name. It has been professionally repaired once with a replacement of a "flyback" and a "capacitor set". It is 5 years old, and the former repairs were performed

11 months ago. My current experience with the TV is as follows: The TV will work normally for about a week, and then it will stop responding to the power button on the front control panel and the remote control. You also do not hear any of the telltale signs that power has been activated such as components charging up and (I believe) a relay triggering. If you unplug the TV for approx. 24 hours and then plug it back in it will operate normally for the next 1 to 7 days, then it will begin a similar cycle. Intermittently, it will lose audio during its time of "normal" operations (which I usually don't notice because I tend to use the TV for video only). I shy away from professional repair because the last professional repair cost me over $450 and I don't think the TV is worth too much any longer. Any suggestions on repair (self or suggested service) are appreciated. I have done basic circuit board soldering and de-soldering, but do not have any skills in circuit tracing, etc
Reply to
<TVANKLAVEREN

and

performed

will

do

the

only).

Any

It sounds like something relatively simple, if you know what you're doing and have a good eye, look for dry or cracked solder joints around the tuner ground shield (not sure if Proscan PTV's suffer this but direct views certainly do) if it still has the problem then look for the same thing on the power supply board. If you don't know what you're doing I highly suggest having a pro look at it, if the picture is still good when it works it should still have some life left on it, if you poke around without knowledge you could easily do a lot more damage.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:44:08 GMT, Gave us:

I would check the power supply for the entire unit. Soft on switches and standby start-up circuitry keeps this power supply up, and the only thing that changes on start up is the loading. If it fails, and then requires a rest before working again, it sounds like dried out electrolytics on the supply or perhaps the IR/soft on circuitry. Electrolytics are always the first thing I check out on older power supplies. I know that 5 years isn't very old, but there have been some bad batches made over the years. I recall a motherboard recall at one point where the electrolytics had bad paste mixes in them.

Anyway, that is a likely culprit. Another might be enough dust on a part that it doesn't give up its heat well, and eventually runs away.

Be careful of the anode leads on those guns. Projection sets have some mean juice there.

Another alternative is to bypass the soft start altogether, and use a hard switch on the unit. Some of the convenience takes a hike, but it makes it a working unit again. Must fully power down (unplug) to save juice in the interim times though.

Reply to
DarkMatter

and

performed

will

do

the

only).

Any

Now I just knew that if only we could all be sufficiently patient, you (Dark Matter) would and could rise to the occasion with a coherent answer somewhere above the crude monosyllabic responses for which you have become infamous. Keep up the good work; there may yet be a place for you in the family h*mo erectus.

Reply to
Baphomet

It

also

as

unplug

normally

operations

repair

longer.

have

any

(Dark

Reply to
Arthur Jernberg

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 04:09:52 -0700, "Baphomet" Gave us:

More proof that it is you that is the goddamned troll here. I have made hundreds of such posts. Your mother should have flushed your shit ass, the moment you exited hers.

Reply to
DarkMatter

(Dark

become

Reply to
Arthur Jernberg

! That would be TECHNICIAN, but you have him nailed. ...and keep top-posting. I don't particularly like it, but it drives DimBulb

*WILD*. ;-)

Indeed. Some want to steal other's happiness though.

Hey! Honest people shovel sludge! It's an important profession! DOn't confuse DimBulb with anyone doing an honest day's work!

DimBulb is a cancer on many groups. Treat it as such.

--
  Keith
Reply to

(Dark

become

May I suggest some remedial biology?

Reply to
Baphomet

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:49:14 -0400, "Arthur Jernberg" Gave us:

I think you are a top posting usenet retard, boy.

I was the one that gave the guy the assistance, dipshit.

BLAPOMET or whatever the f*ck's name is is the one that came in here chomping at his troll bit, jumping on me. YOU need to figure out what the hell you are saying and who you are saying it to. RIGHT AFTER you read up on the proper way to post to a usenet news group.

By the way, dipshit, Usenet has been an anonymous realm for decades. Nicknames are perfectly acceptable so get a friggin' clue, boy.

Also, it is "TECHNICIAN", you dumbass.

And "DILIGENCE"

Some of us actually learned a few things as we grew up.

Reply to
DarkMatter

fairly

life.

Arthur Jernberg

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:48:51 -0700, "Baphomet" Gave us:

What part of "That makes you a piece of shit" do you not understand, boy?

Reply to
DarkMatter

Also note that it's considered poor Usenet form to nitpick spelling errors. Personally, flamewars and trolling are in poor taste.

Reply to
chris

message

The part that suggested I exited her ass, troll boy. Now that I think of it, that may well have been the way you were conceived.

Did you take a few belts of Old English to get up the nerve to start posting again?

Reply to
Baphomet

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:43:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com Gave us:

Not "form", dingledorf, etiquette.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:07:21 -0400, JW Gave us:

I've got nine inches of "tiny bark" for your lame ass, little girl.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Dark, you are such a jerk that it is mind numbing.

Reply to
Baphomet

Oh, you mean the posts that you don't make, aren't archived by Google, and if they are, are forged by someone other than yourself? Those posts?

When is a post not a post?

1) When Dark says it isn't. 2) When Dark replies to someone elses post. 3) When Dark gets caught in his normal positon of bending over a bar with his pants down by making yet another idiotic statement which Dark then says is forged.
Reply to
Baphomet

He's setting "X-No-Archive: yes" in the headers, which Google is supposedly honoring. I guess he feels that even his technical posts aren't worth saving.

If you're posting good info, it's silly to not let it get archived. Groups.google.com is a valuable asset for those that know how to use it. Why post a question that's already been answered when you can just google for it?

Oh, and I said 'form', because I thought the word 'etiquette' too fancy of a word for such a mud-slinging thread.

-Chris

Reply to
chris