Listening Device for the Hard of Hearing

I have an elderly neighbor who has difficulty with his hearing aids. It's fairly common at his age. I think he and others would profit greatly if he had a listening device he could hang around others, so that he could hear them speak. RShk sold one a few years ago, and I've even seen one person wearing one. Are there others? It was somewhat bigger than a matchbox, maybe like an Ipod.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

ybe

time)

W, 2700 feet

See these:

webpa

It shows zero found. I see turbo ear, but that's like a hearing aid. The device I saw was a box that hung around the person's ear, and had an ear piece that went to his ear. The benefit is that it's not so easy to lose and the volume could be adjusted easily.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

's

he

ar

=20

Reply to
Michael Black

Stuff we don't tend to think about. We certainly didn't think about it when we were young and stupid and went to rock concerts without earplugs.

I went looking for spectral plots

and found dramatic data about guys who use percussive tools all day:

JeffM

Been traveling for four days. I've found a walkie-talky very effective with him. I don't need my end to listen to him, but do need it to talk to him. However, casual visitors that see him just don't see it that wait. Instead they fall into the habit, along with him, of shouting to make themselves heard. If I could find the box I initially described in my original post, I think it would be better than the walkie-talky arrangement. No fuss, and no muss about getting it into his ear. He would just hang it from him neck onto his chest. Hard to lose and no need for the other person to have a receiver.

When one reaches 80+ years, his case, then hearing aids are a continual problem. The very elderly get very careless and forgetful. On top of that, his case, fingers don't work well, so getting the aid in place is difficult. He has very expensive aids. In my view, for him, they are worthless.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

Yes to all you have said.

I am soon to be 69 years old and have been using hearing aids for several years. My hearing loss is ok until 2 kHz then drops off rapidly. One would think that would not be a problem since communication equipment usually cuts off at 3 kHz. In reality, the bass frequencies set up a rumbly noise that masks everything else. Turning up the whole spectrum does nothing to help (I have an amplifier by MFJ that works as advertised but does not help me).

This morning my wife spoke one of those sentences out of the blue that came out "today er birthday". I had no clue as to what she was saying. It turned out that without my hearing aids I lost the "s" sounds and what she really said was "Today is Sarah's birthday". If I had been watching her lips I would have understood.

I think it would be handy to have some kind of headset that has complete response control for each ear. I don't believe any of the tools in the Audiologist's bag address the spectrum above 8 kHz. I would like to see for myself.

The behind the ear set I am currently using does very good with the

2-8 kHz range but is unsuitable for lower frequencies. It seems to me that amplifying the lower frequencies could further damage my hearing. I have a pair of in-the-canal aids that are in the $4,000 range that I just cannot seem to adapt to. They are just uncomfortable. It is important that the subject use the aids all the time so the brain can learn to make the best use of them.

My audiologist is very eager to work with me and we have actually tweaked the high frequencies up a little. I find it helps in all forms of listening.

Keep us posted, what we have can be improved and reduced cost wise. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Listen Up! That's the name of the RS device. It's $8.00. I had looked for this repeatedly over a six month period, three times I think looking for them or anything helpful. I walked in again today, and saw the salesman I usually with he immediately showed me where they were.

I tried them on my neighbor and they worked fine. They have two ear plugs that come out of the receiver box. If he has problems with them, then a cheap headset will probably do. I'll curious how this all plays out over the next few weeks.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

I have a neighbor who has very bad hearing, and has probably gone some of the same pains as you. He advised me of a web site that might be helpful to you. Surf over to

and download their catalog. It has a lot of aids for the hard of hearing, including the around-the-neck units, ear buds, headphones, radios, etc. Perhaps you can find something there that would help. I noticed that a few of the devices have tone control. Maybe one of those would help control the low frequencies.

--

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

aids

help.

would

Thanks, but I don't have a hearing problem. It's my elderly neighbor. He seems to be enjoying his Radio Shack Listen Up.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

There is an app for the APple iPhone/Ipod Touch that amplifies sound - handy gadget for hearing what the kids are up to, or just helping those who have trouble hearing

David

Reply to
David