lirc hardware

I want to make a remote control for my mplayer DVD player using lirc (

). I have two IR receivers that I've scavenged; one is a standard Vishay on a little circuit board and the other is a mystery receiver all self-contained in a little package.

For appearance, I'd really like to use the self-contained one, but....

It's a little molded plastic blob, maybe 3/8" x 3/8" x 5/8", with a self-adhesive backing on one side and what looks like a clear small (1/8"

- 2.5mm?) LED protruding from the other side. It has a wire that ends in a 1/8" mini plug with 3 connectors (like a stereo 1/8" plug).

I know this is a receiver because it came with a piece of equipment (since lost) that was meant to be controlled via a remote control. That's all I know about it.

Any way to tell which band on the plug is connected to which lead on the receiver? Or what the capabilities of the receiver are? (i.e. is it compatible with the basic circuits on lirc.org?)

I don't know enough about these IR receivers to try dumb luck. Can I fry one by hooking it up all wrong?

Thanks,

-Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo

MANY of them are like this: Pin 1 (at left, looking at the photdoide) - Vout. Pull up with 4-10 K Pin 2 Vcc. Probably 5 V Pin 3 Gnd

Google the information for 'GP1U52X' as an example. You will need to know the frequency of operation for these things, too. They vary from 30-50 kilohertz

Digikey catalog (the poor/lazy man's tech reference) has a page near the back that might help

Wade H

Reply to
Wade Hassler

The problem is that I can't see how the thing is wired, or even what it looks like, except for the LED-looking thing that has an end sticking out.

For all practical purposes, it's a black box with a receiver on one end, and three unknown connections on the other.

So, the only way to identify which lead is which is by some sort of electrical test....

-Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo

if it's of interest -- optic detectors are frequently back-biased diodes, and what you want is some package-specific indicator of the Anode (p diffusion) and Cathode (n diffusion) pins. if you have access to both leads, try a low-voltage, low-current source (say,

Reply to
jmw

Probably true. But this thing looks perfect! Oh well, I have one of the recommended Vishay detectors I scavenged on a little board; maybe I'll build the whole thing on that board along with some LEDs for fun. It's just a good bit bigger than the premade one.

-Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo

HeatSeekers:

has a how-to building the receiver into a 9-pin serial plug body shell. ;-)

Reply to
cpemma