LED driver LM3914 is there a smaller 8 pin 5 LED driver?

Hi all,

I'm working on a little prototype, and I need to drive 5 LEDs instead of the 10 LEDs that the LM3914/15 can drive.

Its more of a size thing I'm after, I need it to be as small as possible, or, maybe the LM3914 comes in a SIP package? The 3914 has some interesting features that I need to incorporate, and if I can find it in a SIP, that would probably solve most of my spacing problems as I got to make this unit TINY (short of going all SMT, this is all through hole stuff).

(I was originally planning to omit 5 of the outputs of the LM3914 anyhow, so I might still go for that IF I can't find a substitute).

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

You might be able to find a single chip micro in a very small package. Some have A-D converters so it should be possible to program one of these to do the same job as a 5 LED version of the LM3914.

Why not consider SMD? It's not impossible to hand assemble a mixed PCB at home if that's the concern. In fact it can be easier to assemble SMD PCB because there are fewer holes to drill. PCB layout is easier as well because you can rune tracks right under components where there would normally be a hole blocking the path.

the 10 LEDs that

or, maybe the

that I need to

of my spacing

all through hole

so I might still

Reply to
CWatters

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I found out that the LM3914 is available in a plastic chip package, tiny little square. It must be installed into the appropriate socket, but it certainly takes up less space. The LM3914 is a great IC, because it requires very little to get the thing to do what you want.

What I think I'll end up doing (because of the low price of the 14-pin DIP IC version) is just work around the size and make my PCB as small as possible. I think I can do it somehow. Ahh, yes, SMT would be the way I'd like to go, however, I'm not getting them silk screened or anything, or set up for wave solder. I'm just going to etch them myself and tin them with solution. Should work ;)

Thanks.

-- Myron Samila Toronto, ON Canada Samila Racing http://204.101.251.229/myronx19

Reply to
Myron Samila

Cheap PCB fab here....

in a plastic

appropriate socket, but

requires very

IC version) is

can do it

getting them

etch them myself

Some

do

at

because

of

possible,

most

is

anyhow,

Reply to
CWatters
50 Euros for a tiny little PCB is not cheap.

I can make a 2" x 3" PCB in a small quantity single sided and drilled for $3/unit Canadian!! All this internet PCB manufacturing is hilarious. I went to an electronics show here in Toronto where there were no less than 10 PCB manufacturers displaying their product, I was very impressed that all of them would do small production runs (very small includes 2-50 pieces of any size).

Basically, I intend on doing them myself. If I use surplus single sided board, my own etching solution, photo resist, and tinning, I don't mind drilling. I've got the equipment, and certainly have the time, so I think I can make my PCBs fall in at an amazing price ;)

I just need to find software to draw the thing out so I can print it. I found one nice utility, free trial download, BUT, it didn't include an Undo feature, and it had every trace layout available except LEDs! I tried arranging IC spacing to accomodate a standard

1/4" LED, and it didn't work.

In the old days, I just just use to draw it all on paper using Radio Shack IC rub on transfers, and draw the traces with marker. Then make a negative out of it. I guess I still could do that, scan it, and laser print it to transparency.

Reply to
Myron Samila

$3/unit

electronics

displaying their

(very small

What show was that? I'm new to electronics and I would have liked to go to that show to see the PCB manufacturers. When does the show run?

Reply to
Weblurker

Not bad for a single euro board double sided PTH. If your boards are smaller you can do step and repeat to fit several in that area.

$3/unit

an electronics

displaying their

runs (very small

board, my own

got the

in at an

I guess I'm used to doing slightly more complex boards that I simply wouldn't attempt to make myself - I also have twin twin boys age 2 which might have something to do with it :-).

found one nice

it had every

accomodate a standard

Perhaps you could use the foorprint for a 2 pin 0.1" pitch header (eg Molex)?

IC rub on

it. I guess I

The free version of Target 3001 from

has all the library parts you need but it won't print out artwork at 100% scale (to force you to use their PCB service) HOWEVER there is an obvious trick you can use to get 100% artwork. Details by email if anyone really can't work it out.

Reply to
CWatters

In article , snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.sympatico.ca mentioned...

10 LEDs that

maybe the

need to

my spacing

through hole

might still

You gave no information on the type of LED, voltage, etc.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Umm, LM3914 drives all LEDs, period. It can also drive low current lamps, such as the

7912. That is why I didn't need to give any info on the LED specification. It is irrelevant.

The LM3914 LED driver is probably the most popular one of its kind. Voltage makes no matter either, the LM3914 can run from anywhere from 3V up to 28V and you can vary the LEDs brightness by simply using one resistor on one pin of the IC (Mode function). Current stability of the LM3914 is also excellent.

BTW: I've already found the solution, square package IC, its very small. Same IC, just takes up less space. It however must snap into a socket, whereas the LM3914 is a DIP.

-- Myron Samila Toronto, ON Canada Samila Racing http://204.101.251.229/myronx19

10 LEDs that

or, maybe the

I need to

of my spacing

all through hole

I might still

Reply to
Myron Samila

Yes, PTH can get pricey. I'd imagine that it would get quite a bit more expensive if I wanted to have it screened and such, but since I'm assembling these units, I think I can manage ;)

Thanks for the link on the utility, I'm going to try that out. hehe, and the

100% scale thing, I've got a few ideas ;). But, if the software is actually great, does everything I need, I'll see if they can actually sell a functioning copy, orrrrrr..... have them make a PCB for me.

-- Myron Samila Toronto, ON Canada Samila Racing http://204.101.251.229/myronx19

Reply to
Myron Samila

Hi there Weblurker,

The show is in Markham Ontario (just outside of Toronto). Its not a huge show, but it is a great show for technicians, designers and such to get some info on various equipment and products.

It is held by a magazine called EP&T, (Electronic Products and Technology). This magazine is free to people in the electronics industry. I don't have a website handy, but if you do a goolge search, you will find the info. I think the show was in February, so if you are local, (actually, the show tours most of Canada). It is a small show, but, hey, I found some interesting test equipment there and also found some inexpensive PCB manufacturing companies there that will do prototypes.

Hope that helps. And thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I've found my solution!!!

Now on to solving the next problems!!hahah

--

 wrote in message

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:40:54 -0500, "Myron Samila"
>  wrote:
>
> >50 Euros for a tiny little PCB is not cheap.
> >
> >I can make a 2" x 3" PCB in a small quantity single sided and drilled for
$3/unit
> >Canadian!!  All this internet PCB manufacturing is hilarious.  I went to an
electronics
> >show here in Toronto where there were no less than 10 PCB manufacturers
displaying
their
> >product, I was very impressed that all of them would do small production runs
(very
small
> >includes 2-50 pieces of any size).
>
> What show was that? I'm new to electronics and I would have liked to
> go to that show to see the PCB manufacturers. When does the show run?

Reply to
Myron Samila

expensive if I

I think I can

the 100% scale

does everything I

have them make

Yes you can get an upgrade from the makers of Target 3001, The open version allows you to make Gerber files for fab anywhere.

One point though.. I had a problem using the PCB Pool service first time. It seems my ISP blocks port 25(?) which their S/W uses to send the data to PCB Pool by email (some kind of anti spam measure). I had to get the program authors to send it for me which they did. Expect new version soon that allows you to enter your own SMTP server or similar fix..

Overall I like Target 3001 very much. It's very easy to create new library symbols and foot prints.

Reply to
CWatters

but it is

equipment and

This magazine

but if you

so if you

hey, I

Thanks for the reply. I did the google search and found this url:

The next show will be in Thornhill in April 2004.

Weblurker

the 10 LEDs that

I see you're sorted now, but for reference Sanyo do a 5-led 9-pin SIL, LB1443N, but it's a vu-meter (dB) scaling as 3916.

Also a 12-led vu-meter chip, LB1412.

Reply to
cpemma

Now that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. nice and simple too!!

However, hard to find here in Canada!! I've been searching for a while, I got the tech docs though.

One feature it doesn't have is that you can't make the display flash when all 5 leds are lit, the LM3914 does (if you select that mode). But, if the price is right on that Sanyo IC, I'll use it!! The LM3914 typically sells for $5.00/unit Canadian from DigiKey (about $4.27 actually in low quantities).

Thanks!

Reply to
Myron Samila

For comparison, my catalogue (Rapid Electronics here in the UK) has the LM3914/5/6 @ £2.10 each (£1.20/100 off), LB1443N @ £0.70 each (£0.46/100) :)

Reply to
cpemma

all 5 leds are

It's basically an analog device so it might be possible to connect the 5th LED back to the input somehow to make it oscillate when the 5th LED lights up?

Reply to
CWatters