Kindling for the Fire

I just tested a "Energizer Max" 9V battery, brand new from the package. Short circuit current was 7.3 Amps. Note the lack of "milli."

I seem to remember testing a NiCd 9V once and finding that it could produce even more short circuit current.

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

Which brings to mind an old urban legend. The termianls on a 9V battery mate quite nicely. How long until the connected batteries explode?

Reply to
Richard Henry
[...]

Here's a real case for the Darwin Award. A guy high on pcp playing with 16,000 Volts. He survived!

Another poor guy with a false leg gets out of the car to take a pee. He didn't make it:(

No Spam

Look in ABSE for my attachment - a .gif of Carl & Jerry roasting weenies and talking about shock current and skin resistance. I only have the one page, and it was tattered and torn. Amazing it came out as good as it did. It's frm P.E. Feb. '59. Just look for Carl & Jerry.

In article , Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun" mentioned...

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Oh no...this was MUCH more than a 9V battery could ever provide, believe me. I thought the top of my head was going to come off.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre
[snip]
[snip]

I can remember my dad working on a TV set on the bench. Got an arc to something and jerked backwards pulling the set off of the bench and it fell to the floor. This was in the days of picture tubes strapped to the chassis. The chassis hit flat on the concrete floor, just about every tube popped out of their sockets and broke, but the picture tube didn't break ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I had a neighbor who worked for the phone company. He told me that it is not that uncommon to find a "live" wooden telephone pole when it is raining. He was required to take a measurement on the wet wood before climbing certain poles.

Reply to
Stepan Novotill

The power supply output would be 10.6V at 850mA, but much higher when no current is being drawn from it. This is normal, and you were probably getting more like 17 volts. OUCH!

Reply to
Stepan Novotill

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:20:30 -0500, "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." Gave us:

What a joke. Your tongue isn't enough of a short... at all to pull such a battery or even single cell down.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:50:43 GMT, Carl D. Smith Gave us:

In any case, they sure as hell don't produce that much through a tongue. Any tongue. At std nine volt battery terminal spacing.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:53:57 -0400, No Spam Gave us:

Even Ren And Stimpy will tell you

"Don't pee on the electric fence..."

Reply to
DarkMatter

Volts. He

make it:(

Try a google search on autoerotic electrocution for about 143 more amazing examples of applied stupidity!

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Much simpler: Put a little dry ice in a plastic drink bottle, like bottle water comes in.

Add an inch or so of water. Cap tightly. Run away!

The 1/2 liter bottle will swell up to the size of a football before exploding with a bang reminiscent of shotgun blast...very loud. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes longer. If you don't use enough dry ice, it only swells. Don't touch it, it could still blow. Throw a rock at it first, or just leave it alone..

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

ice,

Skiers have been known to use these contraptions in 2-liter drink bottles as home-made avalanche bombs. One twist - they use urine instead of water to initiate the blast (more available on a frozen moutainside).

Reply to
Richard Henry

That makes sense. The current wouldn't be zero or even close, but much less than 850mA, I suppose. It was a real buzz, anyway.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

bottle

Sometimes

it

as

I expect it's much warmer than any liquid water available there, as well. I can only imagine what a two liter bomb would sound like. Like I said, the

1/2 liter ones are amazingly loud.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:06:02 -0500, "jakdedert" Gave us:

Much much simpler:

Heated water and Alka-Seltzer tablets. Same boom!

Don't have to wait as long.

Reply to
DarkMatter

No kidding? I wouldn't have thought so, but I believe you. In any case, Alka-Seltzer is much easier to aquire than dry ice.

jak

bottle

Sometimes

ice,

Reply to
jakdedert

If you haven't got a cat, then paint a little on your bum!

It's a bit rougher and harsher than the finger covered in ginger up the Arab horses bum, to get it to lift it's tail for the showring!

And you though it was natural to have that high tail carriage!

Peter

Reply to
Bushy

the Arab

It happens that I have a couple of Arab horses in one of my fields at the moment, and I have bred an Arab cross thoroughbred in the past. The high tail carriage (waving the flag) is indeed natural, when excited or just for the hell of it.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian Buckner