JVC RM-C727 Remote

Any idea how to open it up? I have a dirty switch contact.

Battery access reveals no screws.

It's a split case... I just don't know where to goose it without an imminent fracture :-(

...Jim Thompson

Try news:sci.electronics.repair. They are more likely to be able to help you.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Hee hee : )

My experience has shown that those "switches" are not worth fooling with. If it's the plastic-with-black-colored-contact-thing-on-pcb, then opening them seems to "let the smoke out." Something about the way those keypads are designed, cleaning them with alcohol or water never seems to return them to their original working condition. On the other hand, I did fix two cordless phones that way, and they were fine... in any case, before trying the ol' screwdriver, try compressing either half of the case between thumb and forefinger, to see if it opens any. Might be able to determine which half does what.

When the tech installed my cable modem, he hooked it up using one of those ethernet --> USB converters. (Blah!) I was able to split it's case with a pinch of the fingers along the crease line... a little tricky yes, but definately doable. Might want to have your son give it a try, if he's also good with his hands.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Yeah, sometimes you have to break one of the snap-fit clips on one side to get it apart. Just use a small screwdriver and be somewhat gentle. You can always use some glue or tape on it afterwards. I think I've done four or five, and they all seem to be like that. The makers don't want you to get it apart, they wanna sell you a new one. :-/

Reply to
Lizard Blizzard

I insert a steel ruler (or whatever) into the split and twist. Working around the case, judiciously twisting the ruler at various points, eventually causes the case to pop apart. Putting it back together sometimes requires a few drops of 3m Super Gel glue.

Reply to
Charles Schuler