Isn't this a Contradiction in Terms? IBM Dishes Out Small, Low-Power Supercomputer

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote: [snip]

You could try xcopy or xcopy32 but I think they bugger up the long filenames in a subtle way. You should look at getting the Cygwin compiled versions of the GNU *nix file utilities and use cp in a decent shell, like you would on a proper computer. It's *so* nice having a bash (or tcsh or whatever) shell on a Windows box, you can actually use your Windows computer to automate repetitive tasks!

Tim

--
And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a
thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great

You'd think, with 64-bits being the new bus architecture, that ONE of them could be reserved to flag data, no? :)

Reply to
Mark Jones

How about a CPU re-design: one memory bank for programs, one for data? It has been done before; there was a micro made by Signetics that did that (CP/M and Altair daze).

Reply to
Robert Baer

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com (Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover):

Precisely, and it doesn't crash. The PDF reader is a stand-alone application, which is integrated into the browser with a plugin. Perhaps if .PDF was only a plugin, then it might work better. Or Adobe might take more interest in the crashing issue.

I have a lot of PDF's and .DjVu's. I spent a lot of time compiling .DjVu's to get the best quality and smallest filesize, usually 2x to 13x smaller than .PDF, at little if any visual quality loss. Yes it may not be the most popular format, but last I checked, this *is* still a free country, and I can use any format I see fit. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but other's problems with the viewer are not my problem. I always share whatever files I have available, .PDF or .DjVu, and contribute where I can - and I'm not trying to promote .DjVu over .PDF, merely utilize its superior compression when applicable. I'm sorry Mozilla browser doesn't like the plugin; and of course you're free to use any browser you like. Maybe if we asked Mozilla nicely, they could "fix" whatever is causing the problem, unless of course it is a "feature by design" (ala Microsoft...)

Still, after the SIXTH revision, you'd think they would get a compatible browser plugin. Wether it is IE's/Mozilla's/Netscape's fault or not!

With everyone having the same problem, using the 4th, 5th, or 6th version of the reader? Hummph! ;-)

Reply to
Mark Jones

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com (DarkMatter):

...And what is the correct command?

Reply to
Mark Jones

I've always felt that a good firewall and AV system keeps me much more secure than anything MS can make me with patches and upgrades. As far as MS goes, they are as vulnerable, if not moreso, as I am. I have found virus twice in their patches. Ones downloaded directly from their site.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

You may think what you like, but having used MS Windows since the latter part of the 1980's, I feel that I know quite a lot and for you to speak to me in such a childish tone, it would be better that you don't respond to me at all. Thank you.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:23:52 +0000, Tim Auton Gave us:

Funny how previous to the 6.0 version, a pdf file was a raw bit map with no script features. I learn recently that they re attempting to embrace active pages.

This is a bad move, IMHO. Probably the root cause of an app that used to work not working is some new blood in their clic, leading them down "new paths". I like KISS myself.

I STILL use print to file features. A dot prn file can be piped to the printer it was generated for with a simple batch file/DOS command.

dot prn files cannot be altered either, so they actually become fairly good archives of a piece of work. The problem is that they are printer specific.

It took me a while to figure out how to handle dot prn files. The DOS copy command is required to pipe the file to the printer.

I suppose that one could make one's own print spooler variant in this manner.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:21:45 -0500, "Mark Jones" Gave us:

One must use a third party search and replace applet, or write a batch routine to do it.

AFAIR, that is disallowed in DOS as it is very arbitrary and dangerous to the system, should one recurse through the system directories.

I doubt their is a DOS command from an off the shelf DOS type OS that will do it.

Now, there my be a third party command processor that does it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:01:46 -0500, "Bill Garber" Gave us:

Sorry, Chucko, but you are one of those twits that likely has Win 95 running somewhere, swearing that it is fine, and not broke, therefore in no need of fixing.

What do you think the patches are? What is their purpose?

Ever heard of a back door? Many of windows patches are for security reasons, dufus.

Also, we can update install disks nowadays such that they contain all patches desired, and install them upon re-installation of a system.

Where you as into this as your claimed experience should have you, you would know that, and would never have made such an ignorant remark as that which you did.

You do know what the word ignorant means, right?

As far as my remarks being childish... they are not. You should refrain from attempting to contribute.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Touche! Ass-wipe! I will allow your latest post speak for itself.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

It reqires a utility that I've never seen yet.

Do you remember Lotus Magellan? It was an extension to the DOS kernel that allowed wildcards even in the drive letter and directory names of path names. The next version of DOS was not compatible with it for some reason.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

That is called Havard architecture, and its still in common use. See Atmel AVR processor range.

-- Regards,

them

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

It's HaaahVaaaard ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Eight-inch floppies?? Pffft. They'll never take off.........

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:00:43 -0500, "Bill Garber" Gave us:

Look, Dingus Con... My "latest post" speaks to the fact that your mentality as it relates to computers is lame, at best.

It IS broke, and DOES need fixing (your brain, and Bill's OS). DOH!

Reply to
DarkMatter

WRONG! They took them off the market, years ago. ;-)

--

I say, the boy is so stupid that he tried to make a back up copy of his
hard drive on the Xerox machine!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

message

You're right, there must be something wrong with me, to sit here and argue with a ROCK!!!!!!!!! Duhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one Michael.

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - snipped-for-privacy@comXcast.net Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

Thanks. I just wanted to see if anyone would notice a new sig file. ;-)

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida