Is there any sensor activated mini video surveillance camera that can be mounted in a car?

Greetings:

I am having a vandalism problem and would like to catch the person scratching my X5 bmer with a key twice. I am pretty sure who did this since I've seen his/her car following me home one day and got the scratch next day. However, I need tangible proof so I can reason with he/she. I live in a townhouse residence with no security guard and personal garage. The cost to fix the damage is $1000 per scratch. That said, I am wondering if there are any miniature video camera out there that can be mounted on a car and can be activated by some sort of sensor (ultra sound, infrared etc). If it were you, which actions will you take to prevent this agony?

Any feedback and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
njchen24

There are many off-the-shelf camera systems out there, and battery packs. However surveillance from the inside of a car requires 360 degree coverage, and no guarantee that part of the car won't block that one identifying feature you needed.

Other suggestions:

Take it as a lesson and don't do what you did the first time to piss them off, for example cutting them off and stealing the hole they were aiming for, and forcing them to dive for the shoulder.

Another one that works for me is not to buy a car that I give a damn if someone adds one or two more scratches. No matter what you drive, you get in at one location and you get out at another, and the function is the same.

Reply to
cbm5

Take a look at some of the wireless networked cameras. Hook it up to your PC via a wireless router of similar. They frequently come with recording software that's triggered by motion in the image. If not then the necessary software is available from various places.

Reply to
CWatters

I'd suggest trying to get a motion detection camera externally positioned. If your home is not within site of the car space then have a look around and see if there are any garages or other homes with a good view. If that¹s the case, then see if you can pay to have the camera at someone elses house. Even a cheap VHS recorder connected to a cheap camcorder will give you 8hrs of recordings a night.

You may want to bear it in mind that even if you do get footage of someone doing damage, its probably not going to be admissible in court - than there is a risk that if you are recording a public area you could be breaking the law yourself. If you can afford a nice X5, then rent a lockup!

Good luck, and a slow painful death to anyone who keys cars!

Reply to
Kaos