Is there a SIMPLE dc-dc converter circuit?

=_NextPart_000_0025_01C34565.4E03EF40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I asked this before, but apparently I lacked sufficient details.

I have an old flash (strobe) from the early 1970s that runs off of an AC = adapter that converts 120vac to 455vdc. The flash itself has the = humongous capacitor in it's handle (about 5 inches tall and 1 inch = diameter) and a few other electronic components in it.

Now, I know for a fact (because it's an accessory listed in the brochure = and from browsing the various camera groups) that there was a battery = made by Eveready (No. 497 Carbon Zink Battery, listed as 510v but stated = clearly on the label that it only puts out 450v) that is still = available, puts out 450vdc @ 140mAh. Retails for $89.99 US, not = including shipping.

So, since the battery is sooooo expensive and NOT rechargeable, I = thought that there must be a simple DC-DC converter that would take = either a 6v, 7.2v or 9.6v battery pack and step-up the voltage to =

450vdc, so that I could use the correct power cord and plug it into the = flash.

I have lots of circuits on the net that will take 6v, 7.2v, 9.6v and 12v = dc and bump it up to 250v and even 300v, but it is AC (although I assume = that I could use a bridge rectifier of the appropriate voltage to = convert to DC) and at least 150v shy of what I need.

So, is there a simple circuit to do what I want (I would think so)?

Please reply via email to snipped-for-privacy@golden.net

Thanks.

-James

Reply to
James Korolas

If using a disposabel camera as a power supply is out, you could use a lot of 9 volt blocks. 50 of them will make 450 volts, and they click together easily. Be careful though as the voltages that occur are lethal, and you may even need to insulate the battery cases from each other with something as they are not built to withstand this kind of voltage.

If it comes out less expensive than 90 dollars depends a lot on where you get the batteries.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak