Is it safe?

My DSL modems 9V adaptor burnt so I'm using another adaptor (output 12V) for the modem and its working fine! Just wanted to know if this may damage my DSL modem?

Reply to
Programmer666

Depends on its circuitry and what sort of filtering and regulation it has. It MAY be okay, but then again it may not. Consider that accelerated life tests sometimes stress unit with higher applied voltage and higher temp.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

--
It may.

Why not get in touch with the manufacturer and find out for sure?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Unless the modem is marked to say that it can accept that voltage, then yes, there is the possibility of damage. It might not happen all at once, it might destroy the modem over time. I certainly wouldn't do it unless I was planning to buy a new modem soon anyway.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

In all likelihood, what's happening internally is that there is a voltage regulator which is running noticeably hotter than before, and is coping OK for now. Probably the whole thing will age faster than before, or it might just go pop one day.

OTOH I've had some cheap far eastern network gear which was sometiumes delivered with 9V and sometimes with 12V supplies, and the 12V versions ran far more stably for a long time.

If it works, and it's a cheap router, use it. If it goes pop, buy another one.

Reply to
PCPaul

for

Pop it open, trace the power circuit, see what the parts in it are rated for. You didn't mention whether either adapter was regulated or not, and what their current ratings were vs the rated power consumption of the modem instead of just peak requirement, which if you're lucky will be in it's manual and somewhat accurate.

Reply to
emailaddress

I Don't know - is it safe? Hindu

Reply to