IR remote controls and sensor

I am trying to source (ideally UK) a remote control unit (RC5 variety) to include teletext functions.

Also a sensor to suit (36KHz).

Number is in the 1,000 region and would appreciate any pointers.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

CPC

will make custom remotes - not sure about volumes, but you may well be able to use one of their compatible units as-is. I think their bog-standard replacement remotes are about 8 quid. in 1-offs,

Receivers - I'd recommend the Vishay parts - they were the cheapest I found when I was looking last year :

TSOP34836 (formerly TSOP1836) for through-hole or TSOP(3)6236 for SM. About 35p in ~1K volumes.

Unfortunately, as Vishay changed the part numbers of the Through-hole devices last year (due to going leadfree I think), there has been a slight 'bubble' in the supply chain, but they appear to be more available now - EBV are now showing some stock

- click on Article/Stock search and search for for TSOP34 )

RS stocked the old TSOP18 devices - not sure if they have the new ones in yet.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred wrote (in ) about 'IR remote controls and sensor', on Mon, 9 Feb 2004:

Remote control units are available from distributors to the TV repair sector. Try Grandata,

John Woodgate

you may well be able to

replacement remotes are about 8

These are quite expensive in CPC. I'm looking for something much cheaper.

found when I was looking last

Many thanks for the info. Have looked them up and will find confirm price etc. RS have the 38KHz variety still available at 50p for 100+ off.

About 35p in ~1K volumes.

devices last year (due to

chain, but they appear to be

on Article/Stock search and

yet.

Reply to
Fred

but

Nope RS have discontinued them - presume out of stock.

Reply to
Fred

Probably worth giving them a call though - the price may drop a lot in volume.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Hi Fred,

Don't know if this is of help. I'm about to source some remote controls from these people:

I'm getting 1000 of their most basic remote (NS-0800) for US$3 each. It is probably too simple for your application but they do other models, not sure of the prices. BTW, if you want a specific protocol then that is extra.

I've had samples from them and the quality is ok for the price.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

If you are serious get yourself into asian sources. From the largish choice available pick the one that speaks the best english, has the services of a local agent (none will have a true agent as such), or otherwise just takes your fancy.

Reply to
R.Lewis

Na that's chicken feed. 1000 x 3.5 = only £3500

Reply to
CWatters