Intelligent buildings

I'm interested in toying with intelligent building stuff to take a a case study for a demo, and real hardware tends to impress more than simulations.

The sort of scenario I have in mind is having centralized computer control in the loop between switches and lights, monitoring door contacts and activity-noticing passive infra red sensors, between climate controls, thermometers, and heaters, etc. so that we can play with simple things like monitoring patterns of lighting usage, then replaying them to make the building look still-occupied, and more complex things like trying to tell when someone's left the heating way up and the door open but has probably left the area.

Here are my guesses about a cheap, adequate solution.

For a small enough building, one could have a single computer talking to all these things on a common low-speed serial bus. There seem to be stock chips around that can talk a range of serial protocols, and a bus with unremarkable wiring and haphazard topology would probably work well enough. The computer could be preset with what is on the bus where. There would be single-bit things like switches that the computer polls frequently to check their state. There would be single-bit things like lights that it writes to (the written value is held by a latch, and the control signal/circuitry is isolated from what may someday be a real 110V AC circuit by a suitable relay). There might be things like thermometers and dimmer switch arrangements that convey more than a bit of information.

Each entity on the bus could be addressed by the computer via a unique device ID, that matches DIP switch settings on the little circuit board of the entity, an ID with enough bits that random/corrupted data is unlikely to match.

It seems that a couple of wires would be needed to carry 0V, +5V, another couple of wires might be needed for sync and data lines for selecting particular devices by ID (wires which might double for both "selecting" the device, and telling it how long to keep its state wired to the bus once selected), and maybe a separate wire to carry that state, whether single-bit or analog signal, input or output. It seems unnecessary to carry multi-bit digital data around as the read or written state of the entity, given that the devices I can think of that have more than binary state don't need that state to be perfectly accurately reported - there can just be one A/D and one D/A converter at the computer end that gets it approximately correct.

So, how crazy does that sound? Would others do it differently? How few wires can I use while keeping everything fairly easy to design in a compact, cheap way? Before I start working out specifics, I figured it's probably good to make sure that the overall concept isn't already seriously flawed.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

In article , Mark Carroll wrote: (snip)

(snip)

(snip)

I should add that "serial protocol" sounds a bit grand given that a shift register would probably do. An entity could probably be selected while the upper bits match its ID and the lower bits match a standard pattern that is not a subsequence in any ID.

The main thing I don't get is how to store analog state without drift, for an entity representing a dimmable light or something. It'd be nice if there were a simple elegant solution, or something prepackaged on an IC, instead of me having to use an A/D converter, a few flip flops, and a D/A converter.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Whereas On 11 Oct 2003 14:00:29 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll scribbled: , I thus relpy:

Use micros, each custom programmed with it's operating code, with its address coded into the code, or an on board EEPROM.

You'd trigger a triac as needed, no need to do anything directly analog.

--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
Reply to

Mark, sad to say, but I really don't believe that there is any really practical method available for accomplishing this. That analog systems have drift is a fact of life that has to be dealt with. This is one of the primary reasons for the popularity of digital controls when they first became available. It is also the reason that analog computer hit a peak of popularity back in the 1950s and 1960s, but are rarely found today.

If you go back into history, motor driven potentiometers and chopper stabilized operational amplifier were arguably an approach to achieving stability, but couldn't compare to the stability performance provided by digital techniques.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

(snip)

(snip)

Surely the choice of trigger point on the AC cycle would be a settable "variable" too, though, whose state would have to be maintained between writes, so the problem of storing the state has just been pushed further back?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

In article , snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk mentioned...

The appropriate newsgroup for this is sci.engr.heat-vent-ac

[snip]

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

(snip)

No, it isn't. Not only did my question include mention of lighting, passive infra red sensors, etc. as having equal billing with climate control, but if you bother to read it then you'll see my question is really about how to have very simple devices on a bus where a computer can read state from some and write state to the others. That is very much an electronics question. The only relevance of the intelligent building stuff is that it means that the aforementioned state is a single binary or a single analog value, so my question would be rather off-topic on sci.engr.heat-vent-ac given that it's more about clocked shift registers, flip flops, data buses, etc. Make it about, say, controlling sets of traffic lights and monitoring traffic sensors and light levels (to guess weather and time of day), with nothing to do with climate control, and the answers to my question are unchanged.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Whereas On 11 Oct 2003 23:36:28 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll scribbled: , I thus relpy:

It will be stored in a digital register of the chip (presumeable a microcontroller), that triggers the triac.