Infant Mortality battery tester

Hi Robert,

Can you direct to those documents.. I sent you a private e-mail, but it came back as mailbox full.

I need to read those specs, before I develop anything.. I check the Interstate site.. and could not locate them

thanks

Reply to
JaBrIoL

Yes, the robertbaer account is full: due to getting 10Mbytes of fake M$ upgrade spam-virii every 20 minutes, i decided to let it pile up until absolutely no more could get in, and have left it that way for a number of months and may continue to do so (it took over 30Mbytes to fill that so-called 10Mbyte "limit"). For a working e-mail address, replace robert with bob and meanwhile i will scan the paper document at 300DPI for you (one sided sheet that was an insert to their data spec booklet). What happens in the battery at excessive current, is that the plates heat up and warp. It is possible that severe warping could puncture the seperator and thus short the plates, which then creates massive current, possible melting, boiling of the electrolyte, and battery case rupture. Mild warping may cause current concentrations on the plates, which can aggrivate localized heating and thus worsen the condition. I have tested hundreds of rejected batteries and have seen what can happen, been able to partly "recover" useability (but not good for medical purposes), and definitively pass/reject each one on the basis of the Interstate criteria enough to give a 6 month replacement/moneyback

*guarantee* on all batteries i accepted; zero returns. I have stored batteries up to 1 year or so in my garage on the cement floor with zero loss of capacity, and can say based on experience and technical knowledge that it is absolutely *IMPOSSIBLE* for a cement floor to "drain away" the charge of a battery. And i *do* know wherefrom that myth came from and all of the circumstances involved that might cause un-knowledgeable battery users to invent/create such a fiction. Furthermore, i am well aware that some of those myth-holders are so damn adamant and fixed-minded, that it is impossible to even show them the facts with repeatable experiments (showing how batteried can be charged and then that charge dissipate with no load - as well as storing a battery on a cold concrete floor with *zero* capacity loss).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Thank for the info... the interstate spec, if possible send it to

jabriol2000 at yahoo dot com the excite account is a spam trap.

Let me ask you this, I am going to a load drain analisys on the GS batteries.

if it is a 12h 5 amp battery, do I create a one amp load? or do I double the load as you suggested?

Reply to
JaBrIoL

I presume that the rating is 12*5=60 Amp-hours; in other words, C=60. Please note that such ratings are based on a C/20 load; ie: 20 hours at 3 amps with the cutoff being 10.8 volts or better. So the test load of two times amp-hour rating would be 120 amps. Take a 6AH battery (small sealed); the C/20 is 300mA and the recommended maximum standard term discharge current is 50A with approx internal resistance of 25 milliohms. Take a 55AH battery (standard Gel A or B); the C/20 is 2.75A and the recommended maximum standard term discharge current is 300A with approx internal resistance of 7 milliohms. Short duration current specs are higher. This should help give a feel for what your particular battery is capcble of - but bear in mind that batteries places in service for medical devices should never be over-stressed for any reason, as such stress can compromise the reliability and therefore be unacceptable.

Reply to
Robert Baer